Possibly moving - what should I keep in mind?

Solanacae

Crowing
Mar 10, 2021
Cache Valley, UT
My husband is job hunting and has interviewed with a great company about 2 hours to the south of where we currently live. I would not be crossing state lines if we did move, and I’ve been researching chicken ordinances in the various towns we are looking into housing-wise. Obviously I prefer the towns that allow for a larger number of chickens.

I have a flock of 10 hens and pullets, including two 8 week chicks still with mama hen. Their coop is a retrofitted shipping crate and could feasibly be moved if there isn’t a coop or if I don’t like what is there.

1. What things should I keep in mind if we do accept the job and move?
2. Can chickens be transported in a truck bed if they are protected from wind with a tarp stretched over the top of the bed? Would they still have adequate airflow that way if we’re traveling most of the way on highways/freeways?
3. I have access to 4 wire dog crates that would each accommodate a 30-40 lbs dog, how many chickens should I put in one?
4. I’m thinking mama and chicks should get their own so as not to put them in a situation where the chicks can’t get away.
5. Any other advice for me?

2. Can chickens be transported in a truck bed if they are protected from wind with a tarp stretched over the top of the bed? Would they still have adequate airflow that way if we’re traveling most of the way on highways/freeways?
The flapping of the tarp could freak them out.

3. I have access to 4 wire dog crates that would each accommodate a 30-40 lbs dog, how many chickens should I put in one?
How big is this in inches by inches by inches?

Chickens come in different sizes, and so do crates, so just test it in advance: put the chickens in and look. You want them to have enough room to all stand at once, or all lie down at once. For a 2-hour drive, they do not need space to move around, and they do not need food and water.

4. I’m thinking mama and chicks should get their own so as not to put them in a situation where the chicks can’t get away.
That would make sense if you were moving today.

Since the chicks are already 8 weeks old, things could change a lot before you actually move. The mother might "wean" the chicks (quit caring for them), and they might make friendships with other birds in the flock, or the chicks might need a crate all to themselves.

Just watch how the birds interact as you get close to moving day, and group them accordingly.

5. Any other advice for me?
Set up the coop at the new place, move the chickens, shut them in.

The chickens will need to learn where their new home is, so be extra-careful not to let them out in the first few days (a fenced run is fine, especially if it is covered, but no free ranging until they've lived there for at least a week or two.) You don't want them trying to go back to the old place at bedtime!

Last edited:
I would check the properties that you are interested in, to find out what the city has it zoned for.
I’ve been looking into this already, it’s amazing how hard some towns websites are to find this kind of information. I’ll call some of the ones I just can’t figure out, but sometimes the city employees don’t know the zoning laws very well and give inaccurate information. I prefer reading the actual city zoning laws, but navigating the websites to find them can be a pain.

I’ve been looking into this already, it’s amazing how hard some towns websites are to find this kind of information. I’ll call some of the ones I just can’t figure out, but sometimes the city employees don’t know the zoning laws very well and give inaccurate information. I prefer reading the actual city zoning laws, but navigating the websites to find them can be a pain.
You could reach out to U_Stormcrow , he's very good at that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom