Possibly sick duck

Tomatotux

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2021
So, I have a hybrid layer and she’s struggling my. When she was young and before we got her, she was the sole survivor of a coyote attack and apparently a major niacin diffeciency. She walks pigeon toed, and was doing really well, but in the last week or so it’s gotten cold here and she’s struggling to move around. When she was dropped here she had an intestinal infection apparently and she was given antibiotics. I’m trying to decide if she’s got another infection or if it’s the cold and arthritis. Any suggestions on meds to try and help her feel better? Unsolicited duck pic tax included. Thanks!

Attachments

• B8C0A01C-9B42-4ED5-A373-1D371E21605D.jpeg
    B8C0A01C-9B42-4ED5-A373-1D371E21605D.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 11
Could you bring her inside to determine if it's the cold? Then you might be able to get a good look at her, her poop, her crop, and her feet. Eliminate the possibility of some of those issues, maybe?

Or you might try giving her B complex to perk her up.

Could you bring her inside to determine if it's the cold? Then you might be able to get a good look at her, her poop, her crop, and her feet. Eliminate the possibility of some of those issues, maybe?

Or you might try giving her B complex to perk her up.
It’s snowing and icing outside right now, and she and the others are trying to sit under the heat lamp. I’ll set up a place inside and see about the b complex. Overall she’s eati by and drinking normally from what I’ve seen, but I’m a little worried. And yes, I have a camera in my duck house…

Attachments

• 0A22E269-43C3-428B-988F-D2C4194E5527.png
    0A22E269-43C3-428B-988F-D2C4194E5527.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
Ooooh... That's cold! Could be like you said: she's arthritic or just cold. I wonder if she's gotten heavier now that she's getting better care, and that weight is causing mobility issues.

She sure is cute. All your duckies are!

Keep trying different remedies and posting updates. The duckie enthusiasts will be glad to offer advice!

Ooooh... That's cold! Could be like you said: she's arthritic or just cold. I wonder if she's gotten heavier now that she's getting better care, and that weight is causing mobility issues.

She sure is cute. All your duckies are!

Keep trying different remedies and posting updates. The duckie enthusiasts will be glad to offer advice!
Thankfully this is an anomaly. Temps rarely get below 20 and their house is elevated and they have several inches of pine shavings on cement board to nest in. I added the heat lamp which they all seem to love because of the ice we were getting, plus a heated water bucket so they have heat, food and water for the time being. I’ll try some b complex and keeping her warm and let you know (they are all mad because I made them come in last night and didn’t let them free range today, or for the next few days). Thanks!

Be careful with that heat lamp. I've read too many horrors of coop fires. I'm sure you are taking every precaution. They are probably plenty warm without it, but I bet they do love it! I give my birds warm mash and water on super cold days. And my goats go nuts for warm water, too.

I hear ya about the abnormal weather! We just had a big ol snowstorm come through right after Christmas. Dumped 4x the usual amount of snow in 2 days. It wasn't much snow, really, but it wreaked havoc on our trees! On our property alone, we lost about 12 massive trees. We lost power for 2 weeks. And that was just our property! It was such a mess.

The snow took out the chicken's fence, so we couldn't let them out until the snow abated enough for us to fix it. The goats' fence, too, was obliterated. They had to stay in their barn and loafing area until we could put up a temporary fence. All of the animals were grumpy! The ducks in particular!

Thankfully this is an anomaly. Temps rarely get below 20 and their house is elevated and they have several inches of pine shavings on cement board to nest in. I added the heat lamp which they all seem to love because of the ice we were getting, plus a heated water bucket so they have heat, food and water for the time being. I’ll try some b complex and keeping her warm and let you know (they are all mad because I made them come in last night and didn’t let them free range today, or for the next few days). Thanks!
Get her on the liquid B complex right away. It may not straighten her legs out since she has been this way for a while but it can help strengthen them.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Back
Top Bottom