possibly turning broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bugdude, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Bugdude

Bugdude Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    It doesnt seem like my chickens like me taking their eggs.. They are not sitting on them and they are letting me take them without any troubles , instead they are pecking at me whenever i pet them now, and just today our Blacksex somewhat ran at my wife and either tried to attack her or jump for the eggs.. ( she did however just come out from laying it probably 45 secs tops) This behavior has started recently. Its almost like they know I take their eggs. lol

They dont eat the eggs, and during the week the eggs can sit in the nest all day while im at work and when I get home they are not sitting on them, not broken, perfect eggs and I can grab them up.. They are cold so I know no ones sitting on them..

Normally the 2 layers (Red&Black) will do their little mating stance infront of me each day and Ill give them a little rub on the back or under the wing, but the red will peck at my hand when I touch her now, she still stirkes the pose but just doesnt want me to pet her??? dunno
    Also sometimes when Im checking for eggs they will come in and start screaming at me, I figure they either want out of the pen to freerange like they normally do after we get the eggs, or theyre telling me to get out! they are not in the coop when I look for eggs, they are in the pen, so it takes them walking in the coop to yell at me. This is rare though, not as often as me getting pecked while petting.

anyways Im hoping this is some sort of "Hey that took work, why are you taking it" complex over them going broody, any tips or ideas to curb this? Thanks

2. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    From my little experience with broody hens is that they will sit on the nest, only coming out once or twice a day to eat and do their business. Then, they get right back on it. They also puff up like a beach ball and make funny sounds when you come near them.

3. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I think you just have a bunch of hens who like to peck. In my years of experience, I've observed that hens do not care one bit about the eggs unless they are broody. Yours are not acting broody at all, based on what you've posted.

A lot of people get the idea that hens are somehow emotionally attached to the eggs, whether they're broody or not. Then they attribute behaviors, such as pecking, to the idea that the hens are mad at them for taking the eggs.

They're not mad at you. They don't care if you take the eggs. Some chickens just like to peck. Some don't like to be touched by humans. They may be pecking you because they don't want you to pet them.

They may be yelling at you because they want you to let them out to range. If you leave the door open so they came come and go as they please, most hens will go back into the coop to lay, even if they have been out ranging.

You could try opening the pen to let them out earlier, and go get the eggs late in the afternoon, or even after they go to roost, at least until freezing weather starts. Then you might want to make sure you get the eggs before they freeze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by