Possibly Vent Gleet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tommythehill, Feb 16, 2015.

1. tommythehill

tommythehill New Egg

May 26, 2014
    Hello.
    Just yesterday I realized that there was a small icicle hanging from the vent feathers of one of my pullets. I thought maybe it was just some runny poop so I didn't worry about it too much. But today when I looked, she had a huge icicle that was pure white. I cut the icicle out of her feathers to stop the discomfort. Upon reading, I found that white discharge can be a sign of vent gleet. I also noticed that the vent was yellow around the edges. Finally I noticed she was acting a little odd and her feathers were ruffled up. Please look at the attached pictures.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Hi, this is a pretty common problem. My first guess would be egg binding (a stuck egg). Feel gently around her abdomen and bottom to check for swelling or hardness, which could indicate a problem. Egg binding also causes diarrhea because the egg is preventing normal bodily functions. My hens always ruffle up and refuse to move when they are egg bound. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by