Possum attack

I am so sorry for what happened to your chicken.
For the nostrils they should be on the side of the beak right where the comb ends I can’t really see in the picture it looks like where it would be is where the black stuff on her beak is.
Hopefully that will help and wishing best of luck to you and your hen
Thank you so much! I’ll find a photo of her before the attack to compare.

FE1348F0-F4C6-4CD8-BC97-43FD2319DFC4.jpeg

This is Smith before she got beat up. So the brownish part on the beak at the end of the comb?

UPDATE: I tried to wash the dried blood from her face and beak. Hoping that may have freed her nostrils. The problem is that I don't know enough to even know where exactly they are. Can anyone help point out the nostrils on this picture? This is Smith after our bath. Thank you for your time!
I have her nostril circled. You can gently take a saline wetted Qtip, dental pick or cuticle stick and remove/wipe away some of the dried on blood. 1 drop of Peroxide on the blood can help it dissolve too. Go easy with the Peroxide, you don't need much, just try 1 drop, work on it, then another 1 drop.

You've rinsed what you can from her head. I would work on getting some ointment (triple antibiotic ointment) in and around her eyes and facial tissue. Flush the eye and remove any pus or bubbles daily (or more if needed) then reapply the ointment. It's not uncommon for the eyes to bubble a day or so after they have had blood and debris in them.
Hydration and warmth. Get her over the shock. If she were mine, since this is from a Possum, I would get antibiotics into her.
Syringe or tube fluids if you need to. Ideally is she's able to drink from a cup held to her beak that's good too.

Please keep us posted.

1646192629940.jpeg

UPDATE - We tried for 5 days and then had to put Smith down. It was like she did not want to live and she did not want to die, so someone had to make the decision for her. Definitely a bit of a broken heart but .. it's nature. It just sucks when it's your buddy. Thank you to all who contributed a wealth of information and support. What a great site. Namaste

Hello,

A possum got into our coop last night and attacked our darling cinnamon chicken named "Smith". She is so, so injured. He ripped off her comb and must have bitten her in the head multiple times. She can't open her eyes - I am wondering if dried blood has caked them shut. Her beak is constantly open and it sounds like she can't breathe through her nose. We've applied Polysporin (that's the goop you see in the picture) and brought her inside to separate her from the other two (a silkie "Sadie" - which I believe she was trying to protect, and Adelaide, our Easteregger who happened to still be outside). I've tried to get a few drops of electrolyte water in her, and two drops of egg yolk mixed with water. She is in a box with some straw, inside the house. She doesn't really move, but she will respond with a tiny noise when I talk to her. She will let me hold her, and there was a tiny poop today in the straw which may be a good sign? I'm wondering if I should try to wash her off with warm water to see if that would un-cake any dried blood and free her nostrils? I can't even see her nostrils in her beaten up face. I am mortified.

View attachment 3009124
I know you're sorry you couldn't save her but she was just grateful you was there for her. That's what friends are for.

UPDATE - We tried for 5 days and then had to put Smith down. It was like she did not want to live and she did not want to die, so someone had to make the decision for her. Definitely a bit of a broken heart but .. it's nature. It just sucks when it's your buddy. Thank you to all who contributed a wealth of information and support. What a great site. Namaste
So sorry

Back
Top Bottom