possum

Don't let people convince you opossums aren't a threat. They are shy, but only around animals much bigger than themselves. Unfortunately, they act much differently around cat and chicken sized animals. You will find many posts from those who have lost their birds to possums who ate them, or part of them, as the birds roosted. Babies and eggs will be taken first, because they are easy. The fact that they feed mostly at night makes them more of a threat, not less. They are nocturnal to avoid us, and anything else that might be after them. It also makes it easier for such a slow, stupid beast to approach prey. Their primary method of feeding is scavenging. This means rotting trash and roadkill. They have fairly powerful disease resistance, which helps them eat this trash. On the other hand, they also carry the diseases with them, and any bird attacked is likely to develope an infection even if it survives, especially since the wounds will be punctures.

I have had a lot of experience with possum. One of the earliest, and worst, involved a neighbors dog. It was dusk, and I and a friend were walking. We heard a scuffle in the neighbors yard. His yorkie was out on a lead and was being attacked by an opposum. The thing had chewed off one of the hind feet, and was clamped down on the dogs ribcage, which kept the dog from making much noise. We jumped in, and got the possum off the dog, which allowed it to start wailing. the nieghbor come out to see me with a furry animal by the tail swinging madly to keep it from curling up and biting my hands, and assumes we are trying to kill his dog. He tackled me, and possum was free. It went right back for the dog, and my friend grabbed a bat and cracked its skull a few hundred times. The neighbor was very apologetic, and somewhat thankful for the intervention, after he figured out what had happened. His dog died. The lesson from this is, if you have a possum by the tail, it can get you. Swing it against a post or something else hard, to stun it before you let go. They will come right back at you.

So, in my opinion, if you feed it, as some have suggested, you are a part of the problem. You will be training it to get easy food at your house, or more likely, any house. If you leave it alone, you will continue to have depredation problems from this particular animal. If you kill it, another may take its place soon. But.... there is not a limitless supply of possum in any given area. The remaining possums will have more area to take a territory from, resulting in a greater supply of non chicken food per possum to live on. The new possum coming in may not be as aggressive to your birds, depending on its first experiences with them. If it runs into a bird that puts up a fight, it may well learn that its easier to get food elsewhere. So, you have a couple of choices that are guaranteed to result in failure, and one that has a chance of giving a positive result. That is why so many of us here recommend killing offending wildlife. Not because we are cruel, or bloodthirsty. We are thinking with our heads, not our hearts, and that is the only logical solution, captain.

Quote:
First, I just have to say, I did NOT suggest feeding it (I think I am the only one who mentioned that so you must mean me) I simply said they would PREFER cat food if they can get it. They like an easy meal.

Second, if someone had a Yorkie on a lead in their yard TIED UP and alone they were ust begging for trouble! Sounds like baiting anmals to me.

Opossums are definitely a threat. So are raccoons, snakes, skunks, owls, hawks.......the list is endless. You totally freerange your birds and don't even give them a secure coop at night then you are simply feedng the wildlife and really deserve to lose your birds. Period. If you have done everything possible to keep them safe and still lose birds, then you have the right to use a lethal means to protect them.

Quote:
First of all
welcome-byc.gif

The best way to protect your chickens is to make your coop secure so that it denies access to all predators.

Take a broom or rake and run the possum out of the coop & run. they aren't nearly as vicious as they pretend to be.

Yes, most possums will run…..ah….unless with babies or if you have that one stubborn bull possum that wants to run, up your arm and meet you face to face.
lau.gif

I tend to agree with Lovemychickens. I already know that I cannot let my chickens free range on my property. I have too many birds of prey. Secondly, I have too many dogs (most of them are my own!) near my property. I know we have coyotes around, I just have not heard nor seen them. We have possums that I have seen, but my dogs chase them off into the woods. I have never seen any raccoons near my house. I feed my dogs either in their shed (which would be the perfect hen house) or in my house. I am planning on enclosing my vegetable garden, if I don't I won't have one due to all the deer. I am getting so many wonderful ideas from BYC to make my henhouse & runs all safe..I have already made two major changes to my plans, one concrete base and the ventilation for the roof! Thanks for all the tips & I just love BYC!!
love.gif

Sometimes people forget that HUMANS are predators also. As a higher form of predator, it is our responsibility to protect our food source (chickens, etc) from OTHER predators. I do NOT have to hide my chickens from predators that terrorize them in the night, ripping their heads off and eating them. I PROTECT my animals by trapping, shooting, whacking or just beating a secondary predator to death with a stick if I catch them in my henhouse. Folks that have warm and fuzzy feelings for disease carrying predators that stalk for farm at night have seen too many Walt Disney movies. ALSO, if a possum, coon, snake, owl, hawk, rat, weasel fox or ANY predator wants in to your chickens, you would have to have a BUNKER with a steel door to keep them out. A BASEBALL BAT makes a PERFECT possum eliminator! Do NOT let them bite you. They have a lot of diseases on their teeth! Sorry folks, JMO

That makes just as much sense as saying you don't have to protect your food source from harmful bacteria by properly preserving it because you are top dog. Sorry, but again, we are responsible for protecting our flock. If we don't we deserve what we get. Sure, you can kill off every wild animal that comes around but that is totally ridiculous and not really the rght way to live. Nope, not too many Disney movies, just a realistic view of the world around me. As for needng a fortress, I just finished protecting my flock from a VERY determined hawk for about a week. She finally gave up and moved on. It CAN be done without killing everything that breathes.

Opossums will get into a coop or eat a baby chick or eggs if they are easily available to them. If you really want to rid yourself of this predator, you must be present when the thing shows up. I have tried to trap these guys and the result was mixed. In the mean time they eat your eggs, chickens and chicks.

I use a 20 guage shotgun and wear eye protection and a heavy overcloths. You can go to Wally World and get some long range game ammo for the shotgun, it works really well. the regular game ammo spreads too much.

Wait up a few nights, it will not be too long into the night that they show up. Do however, secure your coop or barn from these guys as raccoons and other criters will find their way in too. Once you are on the "path run" for these guys, they usually show up most every night.

Please do not use poison or antifreeze. If you have cats or dogs around they will tend to die along with the possums.

Back
Top Bottom