POSSUM!!!!!!!!

missourichickenmama

SURPRISE!
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Missouri
last night, I went to shut my chickens up for the night, I was going to check for eggs so i took a flash light, and got the worst shock in my life.
ep.gif
There was a big,ugly,and fat possum sitting on top of my nest boxes (witch are right next to were my chickens sleep perch is, and the only way an flightless animal who did not want to jump that high would be able to get to them.) staring at my favorite chicken!!! I immediately ran to the opposite side of the coop,screaming. After I stopped for breath it hissed at me! I thought ''oh great, that thing is about to attack!'' So I did the only thing I could think of, witch was screaming "GET OUT OF HERE YOU STUPID POSSUM!!!!!" at the top of my lungs...witch had no effect at all on the possum, witch was blocking my only exit . So I did the second thing that came to my mind, witch was screaming at the top of my lungs in a mixture of fear and anger, trying to at least give me enough time to find something to hit it with. then I realized that there was nothing to hit it with and that hitting it would just make it more likely to attack even if I did have any thing to hit it with. At least the screaming did something positive, it scared the possum enough to make it hide under the nest boxes{don't ask me how a big fat possum could fit under there, but it did} and clear my path enough that I could make a beeline for the exit. I ran in to tell my parents then dad went out there & shot it. Luckily, nobody(chicken or human) was hurt, although there is a bullet hole in the coop under neath the nest boxes now.

The day before I had lost another chicken too. I lost it to a dog, I saw the tracks. It was one of my buff orpingtons. I could of lost one of my little friend to a stupid possum! what's more, it was my birthday too! I would have told you guys sooner, but my computer was broke
13272_com_bashing.gif

It's getting a little too dangerous to free range now that the wild life and dogs know that there is free food here... We are thinking of doing pasture poultry instead. but I will NEVER just cage them up.

hhmmm.. i didnt know possums ate chickens????... we dont have them where i live... i know coons and skunks do...
no mater how far and wide you let your chickens roam,, you should still have a good strong (lockable) coop... lock them in at night, let them roam during the day..

Wonderful way to celebrate my birthday isn't it?!?

Quote:
I don't know for sure either, but my polish hen is on the smallish side and she was closest to the possum.

no mater how far and wide you let your chickens roam,, you should still have a good strong (lockable) coop... lock them in at night, let them roam during the day..

I always shut the coop door at night,I was just a little late that night. The coop is actually a shed, but it has a lockable door.​

I am pretty sure a neighborhood dog got one of my RIR girls from the tracks and I caught and shot a possum attempting to get in. Now I have an electric fence around the area and nothing has tried to get through the fence.

Back
Top Bottom