Post-broody strange eggs!

Aug 7, 2019
Freeman, Missouri
Hi, Chickenhivemind. Since going broody, setting a clutch near to hatching, then having said clutch destroyed by another vengeful velociraptor approximately two days before hatch day, my French copper maran has been laying nothing but witch/fairy eggs. I’ve attached a photo of the last two, with a regular egg for scale. Is this normal? If so, how long does it last? (It’s been about a week) Is she ok?
Thanks!

Attachments

• E588961C-76AA-4F13-9743-BBD5E0D530B0.jpeg
    E588961C-76AA-4F13-9743-BBD5E0D530B0.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 6
Hi, Chickenhivemind. Since going broody, setting a clutch near to hatching, then having said clutch destroyed by another vengeful velociraptor approximately two days before hatch day, my French copper maran has been laying nothing but witch/fairy eggs. I’ve attached a photo of the last two, with a regular egg for scale. Is this normal? If so, how long does it last? (It’s been about a week) Is she ok?
Thanks!
Anyone have any ideas?

Just like newly laying pullet, it can take an older bird a bit of time for the old egg machine to get back into gear.

Is there a yolk in those small eggs?

Just like newly laying pullet, it can take an older bird a bit of time for the old egg machine to get back into gear.

Is there a yolk in those small eggs?
Oops, I should have mentioned- she’s not quite a year old, started laying full sized eggs about 3 months ago. No, no yolks, just egg white. Does that mean something?

Oops, I should have mentioned- she’s not quite a year old, started laying full sized eggs about 3 months ago. No, no yolks, just egg white. Does that mean something?
It means she's not releasing ova.
Usually an egg has to have something there to produce the rest of the egg around it.
Can be an immature ova or a piece of tissue broken off in the tract.

Is there something I can do to help flush out her system, so to speak? Or should this clear up in its own?
Not really, just basic good nutrition.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Give it a couple weeks, hopefully she will get it straightened out.
She's been laying these daily for a week now?

The flock gets Nutrena Natural Egg Producer Pellets; we keep the feeders filled in their pen, and then we let them free-range during the day as they please. She’s still laying them... Hey, if she keeps this up, I can sell them as artisanal health food eggs: pure protein, no messy yolk to discard! 😜

Back
Top Bottom