Post Depth for the run

Up North, you want posts deeper than the frost line, which is usually 30-36". But since you are the South, you probably don't have to worry about frost heaves. How tall are the posts, and what are they holding up? If it is just a fence post, then 2' deep should be plenty. If they are holding up a roof of some kind, you may want to go deeper as the roof will put additional stress on the posts due to wind movement. If you experience hurricanes, then you will want to go deeper still.

They are 10 footers. I will have a 2x4 runner along the bottom, middle, and top to add a little strength to the wire. Eventually, there will be a roof, but it will be poultry netting and maybe some tin, but If I decide to do the tin it will only be on half of it. So, not too much weight.

North La, so hurricanes aren''t a biggie here. Although 2 feet is less work lol, if I sink them 3 feet that will still leave the top of the wire 7 feet tall that should be plenty.

Agreed, 3 feet is plenty deep and if you are adding horizontal 2x4's, it will keep any side to side movement to a minimum. Post pictures when you are done!

Back
Top Bottom