Post "dumb" or afraid to ask questions here....with me!

Living_Legend

Songster
Jan 3, 2018
Freeland, MD
My Coop
My Coop
1) If you have a rooster.... What is the difference between a fertilized egg and an unfertilized egg eating them wise?

2) When the coop door is open to the run do any hens sometimes just hang out in the coop during the day?

3) I heard its not good for chickens to get wet. If it rained or there is mud/water on the ground do they aviod it on their own?

4) A dual purpose chicken, say a bully, at what age are they ready to be eaten?

5) Can a hen go broody, even without a rooster around?

6) I heard about cutting their feathers so they can't fly off. What is this debate about cutting one side only or both sides?

1) If you collect your eggs every day, there is no difference in eating them. Unless you look really hard, you won't even know which are which.

2) Yes. At least mine always have. Not all at the same time, but some will hang out in the coop sometimes.

3) Some will stay out in it, some will go in. If it's not cold out, it's not going to hurt them to be out in the rain. They don't always necessarily like being in the rain.

4) Depends on how much meat you want on them. :) Sixteen weeks works.

5) A hen will definitely go broody without a rooster around. She will also go broody without any eggs in the nest. She will sit on rocks if you put them in with her.

6) I have never clipped wings, so I will leave that to those who have.

Nice.

1. No difference
2. Some depends on hens mood.
3. Some avoid it. Some will stand out in it.
4. 16 weeks.
5. Most definitely.
6. Cutting one side gives them an off balance feeling.

7) Is the only reason to cut their feathers is to prevent flight? ( I have a lowest area of 5ft high fence with bird netting over it going upward to 10ft high.)

8) To prevent overcrowding, if all my chicks make it to 16 weeks I may eat/sell/give away a few. What is the going rate ($) for a 16 week hen?

1) If you collect your eggs every day, there is no difference in eating them. Unless you look really hard, you won't even know which are which.

2) Yes. At least mine always have. Not all at the same time, but some will hang out in the coop sometimes.

3) Some will stay out in it, some will go in. If it's not cold out, it's not going to hurt them to be out in the rain. They don't always necessarily like being in the rain.

4) Depends on how much meat you want on them. :) Sixteen weeks works.

5) A hen will definitely go broody without a rooster around. She will also go broody without any eggs in the nest. She will sit on rocks if you put them in with her.

6) I have never clipped wings, so I will leave that to those who have.

Thanks! More input the better. I have asked almost everything on here, these are the few dumb ones that was in the back of my mind that i never asked.

Nice.

7) Is the only reason to cut their feathers is to prevent flight?

8) To prevent overcrowding, if all my chicks make it to 16 weeks I may eat/sell/give away a few. What is the going rate ($) for a 16 week hen?
8) That would depend upon your market. Where I live, anyone who wants chickens has them, so it would be harder to sell them. (PS - female chickens under a year are referred to as pullets, males under a year are cockerels)

I have a few answers!
1) A fertilized egg is just an egg that is able to hatch a chick, the rooster has done his part and if the egg is kept warm and incubated either by a broody hen or an incubator then you might be able to hatch the chick. Some people think that fertilized eggs have more nutritional value, they are absolutely able to be eaten.

2) If the coop door is open and chickens have free will access in and out of the coop some might prefer to hang out inside or wander in and out.

3) It is alright for chickens to get wet, just make sure they don't get soaked or stay wet for long periods of time. Be sure they have a warm place to dry off. Chickens usually do prefer to avoid puddles and mud, we have one chicken however that very much enjoys a nice puddle of water :)

4) a "Dual Purpose Chicken" is a problem we had last year, a rogue chicken that refused to leave the others alone. We disposed of her when she was about 8 months old, she was a little tough, but if the chickens are egg layers that's what they'll be like. I'd say that if the hens are a few years old they probably won't be very good, but if they're less than a year old I'd say that's best.

5) I'm not sure of the answer here

6) There's the debate about cutting feathers at all, and how it's considered cruel. But my belief is that cutting both sides is probably best. I cut both sides of my duck's wings and they are happy and healthy and I don't have to worry about them flying out of the run where they are vulnerable to the coyotes and our farm pup. My best advice is to do your own research here and decide what you think is best for your animals. :)

Happy Farming! I hope I helped!

8) That would depend upon your market. Where I live, anyone who wants chickens has them, so it would be harder to sell them. (PS - female chickens under a year are referred to as pullets, males under a year are cockerels)

I need to start to speak the language. I am bad with that at work to. I am good at what I do but am bad at explaining it. pullets, cockerels, pullets, cockerels, pullets, cockerels,pullets, cockerels,pullets, cockerels,pullets, cockerels,pullets, cockerels,pullets, cockerels,pullets, cockerels,... if i keep saying it it might stick.

I need to start to speak the language. I am bad with that at work to. I am good at what I do but am bad at explaining it. pullets, cockerels, pullets, cockerels, pullets, cockerels,pullets, cockerels,pullets, cockerels,pullets, cockerels,pullets, cockerels,pullets, cockerels,pullets, cockerels,... if i keep saying it it might stick.
:)

Back
Top Bottom