Post Egg Bound Question

kuchchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2015
Have a pullet that was egg bound. Was able to get the egg out but she has not laid since. It has been about 2 weeks. I have never had an egg bound hen before. I tried searching this site but was not able to find anything that talks about when to expect them to start laying again. I am just wondering if this is normal?

I have not had an egg bound hen before (thankfully!), so I can't speak from experience, but I do know that stressful events can throw a hen off laying for awhile, as would injuries, or anything that causes them discomfort. The duration of the "strike" would depend on the individual hen and the severity of the event and how she felt about, or handled it. I hope your hen will feel better and start laying again for you soon!

Have a pullet that was egg bound.  Was able to get the egg out but she has not laid since.  It has been about 2 weeks.  I have never had an egg bound hen before.  I tried searching this site but was not able to find anything that talks about when to expect them to start laying again.  I am just wondering if this is normal?  

If you can, might be a good idea to get a baseline weight on her, then re-weigh once a week. Any loss could be a cause for concern. Now that it's warmer, be sure to supply lots of cool, fresh water, and free choice oyster shell.

FWIW, my vet says that dehydration is the leading cause of egg binding.

-Kathy

We always have multiple water sources available. I don't think dehydration was the problem here. We hatched this little girl out. Her mother had problems with egg binding. She was not mine and did not know her mom had this condition until after we hatched her. Her mom ended up dying of a prolapsed uterus. I'm wondering if maybe it's genetic. I hope not because she is a wonderful bird.

Back
Top Bottom