Post hatch procedure

abot87

Chirping
Apr 9, 2016
Johannesburg, South Africa
Howdy fellow birders.

So my first 2 coturnix japonica chicks arrived through the night. They're quite busy in the hatching tray.

So i only have two questions.

Question 1: I have a severly scalped chinese painted male (that has healed beautifully). Could i use him as a guide in the brooder for new chicks? So he may show them the ropes or will he peck them to death?
He hasnt reached sexual maturity and is crying of loneliness constantly.

Question 2: Once they have hatched, dried and are still alive in the incubator I'll put them in a brooder. Question is how much interaction or time should I spend watching them post hatch?

I have a spare brooder incase "Skully" the severely scalped chinese painted quail cant be their guide.

I don't want to over expose them to my prescense, if thats even a thing lol.

Please help urgently.

ABOT

I can't speak for all cases, only what we've experienced here.

Quail are the only birds I've released into a brooder without showing them food and water and haven't had to worry about it. I hatch out button quail for a guy here and after trying (unsuccessfully) to dip their beaks in water and show them food, they all survive on their own. Now do the same thing for the jumbo and regular Coturnix and haven't lost a bird yet.

In comparison to chickens and turks, I get the impression that quail haven't had the "smart" bred out of them yet.

To answer your questions:

I'd be very careful introducing any older birds to newborns.

Exposing them to your presence can be bad or good, depending on what you want to do with them. We brooded our first batch of coturnix in an overflow brooder that was only 12 inches tall and in the walkway for the rest of the area. Those guys are 6+ weeks old and just look at you when you try to pick them up. The batch after that was raised off to the main traffic areas and they're like spring loaded, battery powered bouncy balls that go crazy when you try to pick them up.

Good luck.

Hi all.

Thanks so much for the info. Truly appreciate it.

Here's a quick update...

The scalped Chinese painted male has made a full recovery.
He fancies himself quite the communicator, as he and the other Chinese painted male caged next to him have very loud and non-stop chats.

I haven't put another bird with him as yet (his brides are on order).

ABOT

Back
Top Bottom