post mites

islandmenchicken

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
My entire flock came down with a bad case of mites in the spring. My rooster is growing feathers again, but the hens are not. This is Maine and we are already having frost. What suppliments can I give them to encourage growth?

Hi
welcome-byc.gif

I'd give them some vitamins and up their protein to aid the feather growth. You can feed yogurt, cheese, dry cat food.
Also you can feed black oil sunflower seeds and cracked corn... that should help them get ready for winter.
Hope they all do great
Rhonda

Last edited:
I agree with Rhonda on everything except the cracked corn. When corn is cracked it loses nutrients at an alarming rate. After 3 days cracked corn is only 7% protien and about as nourishing as feeding dirt. Whole corn is about 11% and doesn`t fade away nearly as fast and would be far better, if they will eat it. Also, don`t overdo the elevated protien. A little goes a long way. Good luck.......Pop

Are these feathers completely gone off the chicken or are they just broken? The feathers will start to regrow in about 2weeks if they were pulled all the way out of the skin. If the feather shafts are still in the skin, you will have to wait until they molt.

Back
Top Bottom