Post-molt chicken is skinny and antisocial

Interesting, did they determine that from a blood test???
[/quote

I'm not sure what you're asking. I took in a sample of her poo for the worm test. I didn't take her. On the phone they asked how many chickens I had; it's normal to test all your dogs infdividually for worms, but I said I would just bring hers in, and if she was positive I'd treat the whole flock.

It was entertaining to fill out the vet chart form as if she were a pet, which she isn't --not in the same way my dachshund is!---but they needed to have answers for their boxes on the form, so I complied :) We don't name our chickens, but my dd and a friend had decided she was Grampy because she was gray and grumpy. I said I was going to go down in the "irresponsible pet owner" book with an unvaccinated, unspayed, creature :) No rabies vaccine, no heartworm tablets, all the things that I definitely give my dogs!

Last edited:
Oh, ok, I see now, lol.
smile.png
Let us know what the results are!

I'm posting here again because now I'm back to her behavior. If this is not okay, or if I should start a new thread please let me know. She's been on Corid for a week now, and seems to be looking better physically. Her comb is healing. However, if I get her anywhere near the others, she has a fit. She hides all day. She hasn't been in contact with another chicken in a week, and even before she was pecked she hid. Sunday I put her inside my fenced garden, where she could see the others but was safe from them. As soon as I set her down she ran to hide under the compost pile where she remained all day. Monday I put her out in the backyard, and she hid under a bush all day. Today I put her in a pen, alone, and she stayed in the henhouse all day. Tonight I put the meekest hen in there with her (after dark). If she has any hope of getting along with any chicken, ever, it will be with this hen. She is the sweetest, most submissive hen I've ever known. I really would like to get the flock re-integrated. I'm looking at taking the injured hen with me for Christmas because I cannot put her in with the flock in an enclosed space because it will mean her certain death. This whole chicken-keeping mess is difficult. They certainly aren't pets in the sense that my dogs are pets, but yet I don't want to cause them pain or have them suffer either. And even if I were inclined to eat her, which I'm not, she's not well. I don't want to eat a sick chicken--for those who say the best end for her is a stew-pot, which may be correct! What should I do?

Day one of chicken psychiatric rehabilitation is going well! I let both of them out of the pen to free range, and they are sticking together, eating birdseed from under the bird feeder and destroying my flower beds. This is the first time I've seen "Grampy" (the sick hen) acting like a normal chicken in weeks (ie not hiding under a bush or something).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom