Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

I'm pretty in love with that blue silver laced orph! She's so pretty!

How well do orphingtons do in confinement? I'm looking to add two chicks to my flock since we lost one last year and chicken math demands MORE. I have a roo and 5 girls right now in an 8x4 coop attached to a 20x20 run. The Meyer catalog states only the bluffs are okay on confinement but I was wondering if you guys have other thoughts.
Thank you!

My orps do OK in confinement. Like all my chickens they prefer to free range, but don't go far when they are out. They're more on the lazy side - never fly or hop the fence and only break into a run when treats are involved.

Here are a few more pics of Blizzard. (pics below are all re-posts)
blizzard in snow.jpg
IMG_6869 copy.jpg

and here's my silver laced orp pair
laced orps in snow.jpg

My 6 wk old blue orp is hitting the awkward stage very hard.
blue orp 1.jpg
blue orp 2.jpg
blue orp 3.jpg
blue orp 4.jpg

Here she is with her serama sister
compare siblings size.jpg

The little family is being raised by a broody silkie.
family 2.jpg

That comb is pretty pink already at 6 weeks. Are you sure it's a girl?
I'm pretty sure. Many of my male orps get combs & wattles at 3.5 weeks - long before they get all their feathers.
IMG_9717.JPG

By 6 weeks they're obvious.
IMG_1409.JPG

I've also had a few possible "males" end up being girls.
The mama to this current chick was one of those tricksters. Here she was at almost 5 weeks. Look at those wattles hanging down!!!
blue orp.jpg

This was her at about 6.5 weeks. She had red wattles .... but the comb was so tiny.
IMG_9596 copy.jpg

It got so bad that the kids dressed this chicken up to get in touch with its feminine side:
jewel 4 copy.jpg

In the end, I'm glad we kept this hen because she's big and beautiful. (However, her babies sometimes get her early wattles
blue orp.jpg

Here was another trickster girl. The 1st pics were taken at 5 weeks - when I thought she was a he. (Not 100% sure, but I was leaning toward a very slow maturing male.) I would have sold her if I had know she was female. Around here people only buy pullets, so I kept this one for a future Sunday dinner.
lav 5 wksA (1).jpg
lav 5 wksA (2).JPG
lav 5 wksA (3).JPG

Here she was at 11 weeks old.
lav 1.jpg
lav 2.jpg

Here was another trickster girl. The 1st pics were taken at 5 weeks - when I thought she was a he. (Not 100% sure, but I was leaning toward a very slow maturing male.) I would have sold her if I had know she was female. Around here people only buy pullets, so I kept this one for a future Sunday dinner.
View attachment 1643331 View attachment 1643332 View attachment 1643333

Here she was at 11 weeks old.
View attachment 1643336 View attachment 1643337
I got some lavender Orpington two years ago and I swore one was a rooster but it ended up a pullet as it was supposed to be. So perhaps the blues and lavender are a bit different in comb development. Thanks for the info. I have mostly had buff Orpington until recently. :)

Here's a pic of my winter orp (hatched Dec 2) She's almost 8 wks...... and boy does she look awkward! As she's maturing, I'm thinking her daddy is our silver laced orp, so I may keep her for a while to use for my blue silver laced project.
orp.jpg

Here's her family (not biological of course). A silkie mama & 2 serama sisters. The orp is one day younger, so technically the "little sister."
family 1.jpg
family 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom