Post pics of your a-frame ark- Got any?

Beau coop

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
WNY
I am looking to see if any one has built either of these arks?

I like the 2 story design. I don't want the weight of the full catawba ark, but like the look of its "little sister" (the second photo). The movable coop from organic gardening does not provide me with enough info. And before I buy plans from ebay for the red one I'd like to talk to someone who has built the ark. THANKS!

10629_tractor119.jpg

10629_tractor131.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is not that fancy but I built it out of scrap wood and wire that we had at the time. I now have my Silkies in it, which works really good since they don't roost but they do go inside the coop since it's ground level. I was trying to find the photo which is on my BYC page but for some reason I can't find it:he. I will post it as soon as I find it.

my original version

38352_coop1.jpg

didnt think they got enough light so i changed it a bit the next year.

38352_295.jpg

kinda heavy but still pretty easy to move.

in its previous life it had carpet on some of the 2x4's and was used to haul marble showers and pieces of glass by my father in law.

Last edited:
"And before I buy plans from ebay for the red one I'd like to talk to someone who has built the ark. "

It is a very simple build for someone with marginal building skills. I love my ark or A frame or whatever you want to call it. It took me about 5 hrs to build mine (no plans, years of carpentry), very similar to the red and white one, if the red was metal and not wood. I eventually ended up putting a detachable 6'X4', 4' tall area add for a lil more room and they love it. From your picture it looks as if the center and side rails are 1X2, that is kinda of skinny and might break with use over the years or days. BTW it looks to have a painted wood roof which is as bad as it gets, it will be warped and peeling in no time, I recomend covering it with a roofing material...shingles, metal, anything but just paint. They are easy to move, build, and hold up well in bad weather, for a small flock it's great!

BellLisaMo have you seen one like that before? I am new here and have been trying to decide how to do a chicken coop. And it hit me!!! I do have an old metal swingset frame right in my backyard!!!! How would I go about doing that though since it is made out of metal instead of wood???

Shawna

Back
Top Bottom