Post pics of your chicks thread!!!

I call these two "The Peeps". ;) They're Light Brahmas and I LOVE THEM. They have the cutest fluffy feet, and they have this way of looking up into my eyes, like they actually see me. This was the first day I had them. I thought they were four weeks, but I think I misheard and they were actually just two weeks old. Can anyone who's raised Light Brahmas verify which they look more like?

I can't believe how fast they're growing! Just 10 days later and they have far more feathering along their spines and have tiny feathers on their heads coming in. Here's a pic that shows how many more feathers they have on them (they're feathering out the same pretty much)

When I'm outside I let them free range since they tend to stick close to me. If not eyeshot then definitely earshot, they seem incapable of shutting up! Unless I pick them up and tuck them close, anyway...Then they're quiet for 10 seconds. ;) Here's the two of them on the hunt, they love finding bugs in the grass. I'm slightly worried about them having differently shaped tails, the closer one has a rounder tail and the further one has a more pointed tail. Their wings have feathered out at the same time though so I'm hoping that's just how they are and not because one is a male. :( I would really hate having to get rid of one of them because of crowing in city limits.

They also "help" me out with my yard work. The past few days I've been digging up some dirt and laying down pavers as an edging. They LOVE worms, so I've been trying to teach them that when I whistle a certain way they should pay attention/come to me because I'll give them a tasty worm. I find it hysterical when one of them snatches it up and does the "I HAS FOOD" scream while running around like a mad thing while the other chases her. They've also learned that dirt bathing is FUN especially on loose soil that I've dug up. One of them was in ecstasies over it, fluffing herself up to three times her size, kicking out with her feet, even trilling every now and again. She was so comfortable she would start to nod off. I managed to get a close up shot of her micro nap (lasted about 10 seconds.)

I LOVE my Brahmas - they are calm, docile, curious and beautiful. Also, great moms if you need a trustworthy setting hen. The last clutch the mom never left them, she raised them and then moved with them back into the main flock when they were a few months old. I'm not sure about the age, maybe someone else can help you out with that, but I know they are a breed that matures slowly. Sounds like you are enjoying them!

My little babies from this year are almost all grown up. My black Australorps are already trying to make grown-up noises, but they still peep and cheep when they think no one is looking.
Gryffindor, our little EE roo

Everyone together (excluding our two very newest chicks). They're on the alert because a bluejay just flew overhead.

Anna wants to know what I'm up to.

Star has come a long way from his brush with death.

Anna and Mrs. O'Brien

Mrs. Patmore comes running.

Pipsqueak, my littlest chicken.

Mr. Bates. He's shy and quiet. I hope he grows up to be a good rooster.

This young buff orpington is either Honeybear or "Buffy", depending on whether you ask me or my husband. It's a subject of some contention with us.

Sybil says hi! I named this chick after a female character, but I fear she may actually be a he. The name has stuck though--maybe we'll call him Sy for short.

Pipsqueak again. She's so gosh darned cute!

The two newbies: Sugar (back) and Spice (fore) I suspect Sugar is a pullet and Spice a roo, but I won't know for sure for quite a while.

Mrs. Patmore is never far from my side. <3

I can't tell with any certainty if this is Mary or Mrs. Hughes. In person, I can tell them apart in a heartbeat, but it's harder in photos.

Last edited:
I had to share a video of my 12 week old roo who has found his voice. Actually, all 4 of them are crowing but it took me nearly an hour to catch it on video LOL

Back
Top Bottom