Post Pics of your Leghorns

my two bantam leghorns. which one is better u tell me?????
very hard to tell their quality but i would say the second bird because the first bird has an over done head, short back and short neck. The second bird has a more proportionate head longer neck longer back and easier transtion to the tail but they are both finishing a molt and not in a good pose/ quality photo so it is hard to tell for sure.

I had a dog massacre last winter, so had to order chicks from a hatchery, late enough in the season that there was no longer much selection, and I was still traumatized by the loss of over 40 chickens.

So.......

I got a mix of breeds:
Bantams (for two of my sons, who insisted)
- d'uccle straight run, so I have roosters and pullets
- two buff brahma

Standard
- i wanted a good broody, since my best broody was lost, I thought a good chance of a broody was .cochins, so I got three white ones
- one Brahma that the kids insisted on
- two Rhode Island Reds (but hatchery, so production type)
- two golden comet hybrids
- five white leghorns

Then I got from a local breeder some French Black Copper Marans and hatched out some, kept one rooster and three pullets.

Really, the best breed for the cold would be pure EEs or Ameraucanas. but, I really want something older and more historical.

My kids insist that we have "cute fluffy faced bantams" so I want bantam wheaten Ameraucana.

Then, for the standard breeds, I narrowed it down to Leghorn, Dominique and Hamburg.
a great hardy breed that is sweet and pretty are Salmon Faverolles. I have salmon faverolle bantams and they are great. They are hardy and lay really well. Sumatras are very hardy and decent layers.

here are some of my leghorn bantams

WOW! those are beautiful!

zack N houdan,

Salmon Faverolles are very sweet, and I love their colors, but their little comb points freeze off. I really want to switch to breeds that won't get frostbite. Actually, that is why I want the wheaten ameraucanas, they look alot like Salmon Faverolles!

What colours in Leghorns do people here keep? I have whites, browns and silver duckwing. I hope to collect a trio of exchequer at the weekend. I also hope to get lavender and crele this year.

Back
Top Bottom