Post Pics of your Leghorns

I want to get everyone's opinion on this little chick. I hatched her from a light tan colored egg that came from a barnyard mix. The breeder had Leghorn hens but no leghorn roosters and she clams her leghorn hens lay only white eggs. She was baffled by this chick also! A list of her Roos: BCM, OE, BR, SLW, EE & Sumatra
List of her hen: BCM, EE, BR, SLW, RSL, leghorn, NJ Giant & Sumatra

Could a leghorn lay a light tan egg?

I want to get everyone's opinion on this little chick. I hatched her from a light tan colored egg that came from a barnyard mix. The breeder had Leghorn hens but no leghorn roosters and she clams her leghorn hens lay only white eggs. She was baffled by this chick also! A list of her Roos: BCM, OE, BR, SLW, EE & Sumatra

Forgot to mention she/he is yellow with 2 black spots. Here's one more pic

Last edited:

Forgot to mention she/he is yellow with 2 black spots. Here's one more pic

I have no idea as to what her heritage could be, but leghorns always lay white eggs.

Wyandottes lay very light brown eggs. Hummm, not sure what else to guess.

One of my brown leghorn pullets (6 weeks old) is super mean to many of the other chicks (the Barred Rocks and some of her fellow leghorn pullets, but not the larger New Hampshires). She really seems to be trying to draw blood and I notice a few of the chicks she picks on have feathers pulled out of place (sticking out abnormally), so I think she is doing damage and the coop is certainly calmer when I separate her. I took her back to the brooder in the garage for 2 nights, but when I put her back with the others this morning, it didn't take 2 minutes for her to be pecking at others. She didn't seem as aggressive about it until this afternoon, when I watched her peck at the behind of a chick not even looking at her. These are not gentle, curious pecks or simple pecking order reminders, but very aggressive compared to what I've observed among the other 22. She chases chicks she doesn't like all the time, and they run in fear of her. They have huge space inside and out for their number and size. I've got her back in solitary.

I asked about this on another thread and was advised that this was probably an inherited trait and that it made some sense to cull this bird to create a more peaceful flock. I do think it is inherent in her, and I am leaning toward that, even though she is a beautiful, healthy-looking chick, or giving her away, if I can find an appropriate home. I just thought I'd check with this forum to see if anyone has had experience with a mean pullet and if you had a way to "cure" her of her hyper-aggression. I spend a lot of time with the chicks and the others are all quite calm and even friendly with me, though I don't hold them. All the leghorns are more aloof, but she is not afraid of me, and does not act stressed, whether in isolation or with the others.

This is a pic of my White Leghorn/americauna cross at 3 weeks old! Getting into her ugly teenager look! :lol:

By the way, can anyone tell if this is a hen or a roo? I am a newb and have no idea!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom