Post prolapse help!

murielmarie

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2023
Michigan
Hi everyone, my Big Mama ( almost 2 year old jersey giant) had her first prolapse on Monday. I was able to get the prolapse back in. Now, so a few days later, she is penguined and seeming to struggle to poo? Her vent is constantly contracting and I am unsure how to help her.

When she prolapsed, there was an egg shell I had to pull out so I know there’s a chance the yolk ruptured inside her. But there’s just so much that it could be and I am unsure how to help.

I have her separated with nutri drench water, gave her an Epsom salt bath and palpated the area and got some poo to come out, and then gave her some Tylan 50 in case of some sort of infection as it’s the only broad antibiotic I have on hand.

I should note her comb is still red and she will eat if you put food by her. She just seems so uncomfortable. I didn’t feel an egg today, so I don’t think she’s egg bound.

Could it be simply inflamed still from the prolapse and just needs to calm down or?

Can you give her some human calcium citrate with vitamin D? Equate brand or generic is fine, and aim for about 300-600 mg of calcium. Can you check her vent with a clean or gloved finger for an egg? Is she now able to poop? Many times an egg will come right behind another if they are having trouble laying or have soft shells. Let us know how she is doing in the morning.

Hello,

So I have made sure she has calcium (tums) as well as oyster shells.

This morning when I soaked her, I got some poo out (just a bit) and she has only pooped minimal and very “mucusy” it seems since.

She is puffed up and uncomfortable but also eating and drinking .

I cannot feel an egg lodged in her vent :( I am unsure what more I can do…

The first picture is of her original prolapse (Monday) and that’s her bum last night.

Attachments

• DD504956-B8BA-4DD8-A06C-05490AB159F7.jpeg
    DD504956-B8BA-4DD8-A06C-05490AB159F7.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 2653D0C2-1E9D-405F-AA54-6D6FE5C21A58.jpeg
    2653D0C2-1E9D-405F-AA54-6D6FE5C21A58.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 5
Can you give her some human calcium citrate with vitamin D? Equate brand or generic is fine, and aim for about 300-600 mg of calcium. Can you check her vent with a clean or gloved finger for an egg? Is she now able to poop? Many times an egg will come right behind another if they are having trouble laying or have soft shells. Let us know how she is doing in the morning.
Not sure if my response triggered since I didn’t respond to this actual post! I did below if you can see? I just coated some lettuce in tums for her

She’s still pretty off. Her comb is red, she’s eating/drinking, alert…she seems to struggle to poop but then I did a soak and eposm salt enema and she had normal poops after for maybe a day and now we are back to not normal poops and constant contracting of the vent.

As of this morning I felt no egg.

She isn’t penguined but she is definitely hunched.

She has oyster shells, and sprinkled tums dust on her lettuce, on top of her normal feed and nutridrench.

I let her free range with her friends a bit today and then brought her back since she was hunched again.

I’m not sure what more I can do?

Keep her in a darkened place to prevent her from laying, and separate so her flock mates don't try to peck at her prolapse. 2x day epsom salt soaks to clean her vent area and help reduce swelling. Plain Preparation H cream applied while pushing prolapse back in after soaks. Feed only cracked corn and calcium.

I would give her the calcium citrate with vitamin D daily. That can help the prolapse go in, and if an egg is coming, to help her pass it. Keep he vent clean, and daily warm soak in Epsom salts can help to heal her vent. It can take a week for some prolapses to go back in and stay. It is good to let her walk around the flock each day, but be careful they don’t peck her vent that is red. They could damage her vent or kill her. Stay with her. You could also leave her with them inside a dog crate.

Back
Top Bottom