Post your favourite recipies!!!!!!!

I heard Alton Brown had a drug problem when he was younger. Most chefs deal with drug or alcohol problems(or both).... too many hours, competition, physical pain.... it's a mentally and physically tough job that can pay really well, for a short time before burn out. Having to cook and taste food for a living can leave you with little appetite so, again, extremes in weight.

I love caramel corn but I haven't found a recipe that didn't have a baking soda taste. That is until this year.

Sister Mabel's super caramel corn

2 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1 c. butter or marg
1/4 t. cream of tarter
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
6 qts. popped corn

In a saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, butter and cream of tarter, and salt. Boil rapidly on medium high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 260 degrees(I eyeball this and guess rapid boil for about 2 or 3 min). Remover from heat. Stir in soda, stirring to mix thoroughly. Immediately pour over popped corn in a large bowl, stirring until coated. Place coated corn in a large buttered roasting pan or sheet cake pan. Bake caramel corn for 1 hour in a preheated 200 degree oven, stirring 3 or 4 times. Keep in a tightly covered container. If it becomes sticky, place in oven again for a little while. Makes about 6 quarts.

I shared this with the lady who lives next door brought her a bag and she calls at least 2 x's a week asking me if I have made some LOL. If I haven't I do and send her a bag she is very gratefull

Back
Top Bottom