Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if she'll keep laying or if that was just a fluke. Are you sure about her age?

Just got our first egg!! So excited

My two rescue chickens have been molting, we got them in April and have been anxiously waiting those first eggs. Today I was surprised with this beauty! Two nests made up in the box with one chicken sitting in one and this egg in the other. I assume the other chicken layed this egg and we will have another soon?

First egg today, my little brother texted me about it since I live about 8 miles away from where I have my flock .
He texted me, "the egg is so tiny and small. " Since it was "National Skeptic Day," I didn't believe him. My flock
are only about 12 weeks old . I am not sure which one of my three pullets laid the egg. My little sister, after coming back from
school in the afternoon, told me she heard one of the chickens choking very loud or something this morning lol . She went to check
on them but didn't see an egg, ... hmm how odd.
I think by choking loud she meant cackling, since I had to show her a youtube video of how it
sounds and she said, "yea kinda like that." Too bad I missed it :( LOL

I looked up why the egg was small with little brown specks and apparently my dad who has lived in a farm back in the 40's assumes
she may be sick or not eating well. But the shell is hard and not soft like some pics I have seen of first eggs.

Here is an image in comparison to grade A eggs from the super market.

Should I eat it ?

First egg today, my little brother texted me about it since I live about 8 miles away from where I have my flock . He texted me, "the egg is so tiny and small. " Since it was "National Skeptic Day," I didn't believe him. My flock are only about 12 weeks old . I am not sure which one of my three pullets laid the egg. My little sister, after coming back from school in the afternoon, told me she heard one of the chickens choking very loud or something this morning lol . She went to check on them but didn't see an egg, ... hmm how odd. I think by choking loud she meant cackling, since I had to show her a youtube video of how it sounds and she said, "yea kinda like that." Too bad I missed it :( LOL I looked up why the egg was small with little brown specks and apparently my dad who has lived in a farm back in the 40's assumes she may be sick or not eating well. But the shell is hard and not soft like some pics I have seen of first eggs. Here is an image in comparison to grade A eggs from the super market. Should I eat it ?
:) it's fine! Of course you should eat it. It's normal for eggs to be miss shapped, unevenly colored, soft shelled, shells that are even hard to crack, spotted etc...they're different all the time And once in a while you may get an egg without a shell! My daughter loves those haha. Anyhow all chickens are different and have different colors and shell types :) oh and the size is very normal too. They will be small eggs for a while and gradually get bigger. They're called pullet eggs. Before the hen is a pro-layer they'll be smaller

Last edited:
YES! I got a bigger one today compared to yesterday's . :)
I got the hen wrong it was my black pullet with the waddles growing she was the growling one I guess I know
now why she was growling . I caught my black pullet Mikeh laying today so when the egg appeared afterwards I knew
it was her. Only thing that worries me is that she has her beak open alot when laying and walking around .

She would nest inside the coop then come out pecking at the floor and then dipping her beak in the water bowl for like a
millisecond, with her beak open like catching some air . Is this normal labor laying behavior?

This is the coop and she lays on the right side of the nesting box inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom