Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahha you can do some thigs to help them along. #1 get a porcelain egg or two. They sell them at te farm store here.gotta get porcelain cause when they sit on them they actualy get warm like they should. Also you can put cayenne peper in there food. Just the seasoning stuff. Don't worry they can't taste the hotness and it's suppose to start them laying quicker. Also if you don't free range you def should as it will encourage them to exersize and mature faster

Arghhhh. Thank you roseyred. I do have a porcelain egg in 2 of the nest boxes. I'm gpnna try the cayenne pepper.I swear, they are laughing at me! Lol.

And I'm not exactly sure what free range means, they have a 20x24 pen w grass and lots of herbs that I've grown for them. And marigolds. Maybe it's not enough space?

I got my first shell less egg. It was tin their nesting box it was on the ground. Wonder why she laid it there or could it be another hens first egg? I also got one tiny lopsided egg in the nest.

And I'm not exactly sure what free range means, they have a 20x24 pen w grass and lots of herbs that I've grown for them. And marigolds. Maybe it's not enough space?

It's just letting them out of there run and around the yard to freely eat whatevs. There smart animals. They usualy won't eat what will hurt them and will eat what will benefit them

My chickens come sprinting across the yard when they see me, it's adorable!

Today I'm trying to move coop #2 and enclose it around my raised garden bed and putting these 26 x 5 week old straight run chicks to work. 16 slw, 7 leghorn, 3 br.

I think my rose comb leghorn Nell might be getting ready to lay, she seems much bigger than she was a couple of days ago. And is coming up to the front of the run to play 'chicken savings & loan' which is where they line up and go gaga over sprouted boss seeds and dandelion leaves.

Missy lays most consistantly, Bessie is a close 2nd. Josephine seems to lay every other day, Jeanette is off her lay for almost a month now.

I wonder if it's b/c Matilda died a month ago? Or just off her lay, or if it's b/c so many of my pullets are coming into lay all the sudden and she's not top hen anymore? I treated her and everyone in the flock for everything in the world over the last month. I'm keeping my eye on her though.

I'm so eggcited to get all 9 of my hens laying. I'm thinking I might hatch out some of lenny & Bessie' s fertile eggs, as she's laying blue eggs and is a clean faced ee and Lenny is salmon favorelle x wellsummer x light brahma, and carries the terracotta colored egg laying gene, crossed with Bessie would yield progeny that lays olive colored eggs correct? And they would have a % of clean faced, and some bearded, tufted, feather footed?

Last edited:
Well I did have two escapees the other day. Lol. I have 6dogs, they see the girls everyday but haven't shared the same space w them, only the cockapoo that snuck inside. Maybe I can try it in early evenings and keep the pups in. Wish me luck! Lol. Afraid they won't wanna go back. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom