Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The yellow color is just the chicks first fuzz. When the first real feathers come in they won't be yellow. My red sex-link was yellow as a chick and it soon started getting red feathers. If the leghorns are white ones they may start out yellow too.

No matter the end color or breed, they are the funniest things I have ever had the pleasure to take care of. Thanks. I will add a couple of pics later.

Got my first egg from my Blue Copper Maran this week along with my two Dellies! I got them at about 2 weeks old and the seller didn't know which were male or female, so I guess I chose right 3 of 3 hens!
Outstanding! Will try to breed some of those Blues next spring. If I can find some then. Just for fun, the Blue is the darker egg in the middle?

My White Leghorn was 19 weeks today. Comb reddening up but none of the hens have any interest in the nest boxes. They stay outside all day. I was planning to wait for the Marans/Ameraucanas/EE but thought the hatchery birds would start sooner.

With the exception of one bantam mix pullet I hatched they don't show any signs of eggs. I placed her in the laying box and she acted broody - scratching around, singing the egg song, covering herself with straw, and sitting. Never laid an egg. She came out 20 minutes later. That was 2 days ago. I didn't realize they could have broody instincts before they'd ever laid an egg.

My White Leghorn was 19 weeks today. Comb reddening up but none of the hens have any interest in the nest boxes. They stay outside all day. I was planning to wait for the Marans/Ameraucanas/EE but thought the hatchery birds would start sooner.

With the exception of one bantam mix pullet I hatched they don't show any signs of eggs. I placed her in the laying box and she acted broody - scratching around, singing the egg song, covering herself with straw, and sitting. Never laid an egg. She came out 20 minutes later. That was 2 days ago. I didn't realize they could have broody instincts before they'd ever laid an egg.
You probably know way more than me but my leghorns started laying at 15 weeks or so. My RIR's waited until week 19. Small eggs at first, large now. Nearly extra large. Mine devour all the oyster shells I provide along with the layer pellets. If they had their way, they would only eat grubs which I give them three times a day from compost. They go crazy over them. Actually hurt each other fighting for them! Go figure.

You probably know way more than me but my leghorns started laying at 15 weeks or so. My RIR's waited until week 19. Small eggs at first, large now. Nearly extra large. Mine devour all the oyster shells I provide along with the layer pellets. If they had their way, they would only eat grubs which I give them three times a day from compost. They go crazy over them. Actually hurt each other fighting for them! Go figure.

15 weeks sounds pretty early! They must have had good nutrition
smile.png

15 weeks sounds pretty early! They must have had good nutrition
smile.png

Maybe so. The woman I bought them from claimed they were 13 when I got them. Two weeks later, I started getting eggs. Now, 2 months later I have ten babies to deal with. Hope they are big enough to weather the cold which starts usually in late November.

I was finding one egg under the roosts every day. Now I find two. It's spreading!!! Any ideas? I have 3 nest boxes (although one is the favorite, one hardly gets used, and the other has never been used). 9 girls, but only 7 or 8 are laying right now. Would really rather not have to brush off poop, etc. each time I collect eggs.

please let me know if you get an answer to this question. we had one of our production reds just drop one in the run yesterday, thankfully we were there to pick it up as the whole flock came to see this new thing in the yard! I am looking for ways to ensure they use the 6 nesting boxes we have. they favor 2 of them.

please let me know if you get an answer to this question. we had one of our production reds just drop one in the run yesterday, thankfully we were there to pick it up as the whole flock came to see this new thing in the yard! I am looking for ways to ensure they use the 6 nesting boxes we have. they favor 2 of them.

Favoring one or two of the nest boxes over the others is not that usual.

From the extremely happy desk at the Crazy H-Bar Ranch;
While feeding, watering, and cleaning I found this pretty little perfect blue egg. Aria's first egg! This Wheaten Ameraucana we got from Carrie. Which might make her a little (ok, a lot!) jealous...I noticed that she was squatting with no one around her so I knew she was close. It was sitting right next to the egg from our Buff Orp. The blue egg must have excited our Buff because that is her 2nd egg in less than 24 hrs. Now I'm anxious for the squatting OEers, who also show signs of being ready; Bling and Lady Gaga... These 3 eggs are, left to right; Amer. Whtn, Buff. Orp., and Golden Comet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom