Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
Congrats
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Briannanoelle, What lovely chickens and congrats on your first blue egg!! I have 3 A's that are 9 weeks old and I can hardly wait until they start laying. Have fun... Kay in NC... 6 13 16

Maybe use hay or straw and have a lip on your egg boxes.

Yeah I'd use straw, it's a bit harder for them to toss aside. Also it could just be that the shell was a bit thin, maybe? I've seen my daughter drop an egg and it was still in tact (she's 4, so it was dropped from a height of a couple of feet). And yet one day one of our eggs had such a thin shell that it cracked when lightly pressed on with a finger.

My Red-Sex Linked chickens are 15 weeks old. We noticed that a few started squatting a few days ago. We got the nests set up and right away they all started checking them out. Today, I noticed that one was sitting in a nest even though I brought treats. I peeked at her and she had thrown bedding on her back. I knew at that point that she was trying to lay her first egg. The other girls kept going in to check on her too. Sure enough, about 15 minutes later I checked again and she was standing up concentrating. I grabbed my phone and was able to video the laying of the first egg and the egg laying song!! What a great experience for our family!

I'm GUESSING this is one of our pullets first eggs? It's so small! I didn't think they were due to start laying for several more weeks though. Perhaps it's a practice egg? I cracked it open and the shell was fairly hard, only a tiny spot of yolk inside.

Ok! I know I could probably read thru all these post & find an answer but I'm busy today & im hoping someone will just tell me....how old do Easter eggers usually need to be before they start laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom