Post your oldies

Kedreeva

Longfeather Lane
13 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Michigan
I would like to see everyone's old biddies. I have a hen that's a few months shy of 11 (Joslin, hatched july 27th, 2012!), and I'd like to see some other grandma and grandpa birds, for fun.

Here's Joslin, for tax, teaching her (adopted) children how to cool off in the water pans:
1679533576523.png

No Peafowl here but would love to have a few free ranging the farm but hear they like to wander off so been reluctant to get any. But do have ducks that free range the farm and pond and raise Jumbo Brown & white Quail along with many Heritage Turkey Varieties.

Is she your only turkey? What type of Quail do you raise?
She is! I hatched her out of a bourbon red and a royal palm that were thanksgiving dinner my first year having birds... I set all the hen's eggs, but Joslin was the only one who hatched. I tried to keep other turkeys, but they weren't getting along with the chickens, so I got rid of them, and then I got rid of the chickens, because as it turns out I actually just like peafowl lol

I have celadon quail (corturnix that lay blue eggs), and a single snowflake bobwhite hen someone gave to me. I'd like to raise bobwhites to do wild release since they're native here and people letting their cats out has basically devastated the population near me over the last 2 decades or so, but my plans got screwed up when HPAI started being a problem last year. I'm building some different caging for the quail and I'll be trying again.

No Peafowl here but would love to have a few free ranging the farm but hear they like to wander off so been reluctant to get any. But do have ducks that free range the farm and pond and raise Jumbo Brown & white Quail along with many Heritage Turkey Varieties.
They are quite well known for wandering off, and unfortunately it's very true. It's a coin toss no matter what you do; some stay despite not really doing anything, some leave despite doing everything you can. You can try to entice them to stay, and there's a better chance of it if you raise them from young and keep them penned for a couple years but at that point you may as well just have a nice aviary pen and be sure. Mine are all penned in big 1200sq/ft aviary pens because they've cost me too much to let them disappear :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom