Post your Pop Door (and lock) pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jupitergirl, Jun 3, 2009.

1. jupitergirl

jupitergirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    Wisconsin
    We are about to start cutting into the side of our brand new chicken barn, and I want to be sure we are happy with the final product. We have decided on a up/down sliding door in a track, and are looking for pop door design and lock design ideas.

Thanks!!

Cheri in Wisconsin

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. pattyjean73

pattyjean73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    I'd be interested in seeing some myself. Getting ready to cut my pop door whole today.

3. will hunt for food

will hunt for food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    I am in the process of building one too. I have decided on a sliding door, inside the coop. I am using aluminum 'U" channel to fit the door into. I am not planning on a lock. since the door will be inside the coop, and very hard to slide up from the exterior. The weight of the door itself will keep it down. I will post pics of the set-up in a few days when i have time to finish it. It is a pretty simple way to make a pop door, without using hinges. I plan on attaching a heavy cord with a pulley system to operate it from outside the coop. Here is a picture of the pop door framed out:

[​IMG]

4. cpa0912

cpa0912 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    I have an automatic door on mine. Slides vertically. My current setup is a 1/2" thick plywood door that is being lifted by a drapery motor that I purchased online. While my girls are still getting use to going in and out themselves I have it connected to a remote control so I can open and close. But in a few days I will connect to a timer. It works great, and lifts the door with no problems, never jammed once, and I have a roost at level with it and the chicks don't even bother with it. I will take a pic tonight and post up.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I have a plexiglass door on ours in a sliding channel, and it's on a rope with a pulley so I don't have to go into the run to open it. I have a 6# window weight attached on the rope right above the door, so it's very heavy to open, darn near impossible for any predator except one with 2 legs.

6. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    [​IMG]

I usd 1" rough plywood for the door, painted with exterior oil paint..gloss finish..

My lock is a sliding bolt, the kind used on horse stalls, that you can put a padlock on. I have one on the pop door and one on the main door, plus one on our big chicken coop and they're great.

7. jupitergirl

Apr 11, 2009
    Wisconsin
    thanks!!! great ideas...... I'd love to see more!

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    This thread was perfect timing! A chicken door is on our to-do list today!

9. taxus812

taxus812 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Here is mine I made just a square 12"x12" frame of 1x3 strapping and sandwiched it between to pieces of plywood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a standard hasp with lock to secure it.

10. jupitergirl

Apr 11, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Thanks!! I'd love to see more! I am using many of these ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by