Pot bellied pig with hens....?

minkadink

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Agua Dulce, CA
I am thinking of adopting a pot bellied big. She is very tame and lives with dogs. I am wondering if they get along with hens?
She would have the yard to herself except when I let my girls out for some yard time and I am always out with them.
Thanks.

I wouldnt risk it.
As sweet as she may be,she might hurt a hen.
Once a pig starts rooting, they dont watch out. She might step on one, or push one too hard out of the way.

But then again she might ingore them 100%. It all depends on the pig.

I posted something about this on another thread...(i think it was -goats and chickens-).....

We have 4 pot belly pigs. (actually 5 one is in the house).
Our chickens go in the pbp's pen all the time when they are free ranging. I have even seen my chickens riding on the backs of the pigs. Cutest thing I have seen....
Anyway....When the birds first fly into the pigs area they pigs look up and wonder what it is. No one has yet to be attacked by a pig. Now I am not saying it isn't possible. But for us right now it hasn't happened. Most of the time the pigs ignore the birds. They have even eatten and drank out of the same dishes as each other at the same time.

We also have feeder pigs. The birds aren't able to get into that area yet. But our peacocks are in the same area...and they get along fine. Our feeder pigs could really care less about the peacocks being in there.

Like I said earlier...I am NOT saying it isn't possible for the pigs to get one of the birds. It just hasn't happened yet for us. I hope it never does. But it's kind of a risk we are taking with letting our birds free range. And not having covers over the pigs areas. Or on the pastures with the sheep goats or llama...

Shawna

I have had 3 pot bellied pigs for years now, and never had any chickens hurt by them.
Like Shauna's situation, the chickens get into the pigs feed and water bowls...the pigs grumble, but don't hurt the birds.
During the winter I have seen chickens sleeping on top of the pigs to stay warm. And, the cutest thing are the chicks. They fly up onto the pigs back and take rides. While the pigs are walking around the chicks are walking up and down on the pigs backs.
Accidents can always happen, but it has worked out well for me.
Carrie

my pbp has never tried to hurt one of the chickens..matter of fact, she may think she IS a chicken. she follows me to the feed bin every morning and eats corn with the chickens.

of course, my chickens think they're cats cause the come to 'here kitty kitty kitty' when we feed the cats....

smile.png

Thank you everyone, so much for the input. It really helps to have real life feedback. I am waiting to hear back from pbp's curent owner, I think I will try it out as the pig would have to go through a fence (but flimsy one) to get to chickens. I will closely supervise for some time.
I will update soon.
Thanks again.
Lorna

I love my pots. They are a lot of fun to have around and are just comical to watch. Very smart too.
Try not to feed the chickens where the pot can see you doing it. Nothing motivates them more than food. If she sees where the chickens food is, she will try to get to it. The good thing is that pigs aren't climbers. So you just need to set it up high.
Carrie

Back
Top Bottom