Pot Belly Pig question......

Barnyard

Addicted to Quack
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Southwest Georgia
I know there are several on here that have PBPs and I thought somebody maybe able to help me. I am at my ropes end with this darn pig
rant.gif
I love her to pieces but I have had enough:
She will not stay in the pen. It is chain link and she shares with 2 goats....they get along fine. The goats do not try and get out at all.... Lucy on the other hand does all the time..... she keeps on pushing and rooting until she breaks the wire that is holding the chain link to the pole and out she comes. Good thing my whole yard is also fenced in, but I know it is only a matter of time until she figures out how to get out of it to. Like this morning
somad.gif
she knocked the whole stinking gate coming into the back yard off of it's hinges
rant.gif
I know good and darn well the grass is no greener on the other side of that fence..... she has food (hers and the chickens) .... she has water....she has shelter in and out of her pen. Can anybody give me any ideas' how to keep this braty pig confined to her area, or am I fighting a losing battle? Will electric fence work? I have had about all I can take of her. Anybody, somebody, HELP ME before I lose my mind......

Last edited:
She may be bored.
The problem I had with my pig was I came outside one morning to find all my chicks had been eaten. Then a few mornings later one of my rabbits had gotten out of her cage and he'd killed her too... So my piggy had plenty to do in his yard. LOL
I ended up getting rid of him since he just caused heartache.
He started out soo cute..

I guess that is possible, but she has a whole acre to play on.... she has already killed 1 duck, injured 1 duck, and almost killed my min pin. It was touch and go with her for many day's. What do you do to keep them "un-bored"?

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out what it is that she wants out for. I wonder if she is in heat? Are there any fruit trees on the outside of your fence? A garden?
I have heard that some pots will kill poultry. I have five and they walk around with chickens on their backs and will let the chickens eat out of their food bowls. They also let the barn cats snuggle up and sleep with them in the winter.
I'm not sure what is going on with your gal. Unless she is having major PMS.
For boredom you can take grapes or any veggies she likes and hide them all around her area so she has to search for them. Or give her a kids pool to play in.
They do like to root. It's a natural thing for them to do.
Good Luck with her.

She does have a kiddy pool that she loves. The only thing on the outside of my fence to the left is woods, and to the right are house's. No fruit trees around my house. My neighbor 2 houses down has grapevines in her yard
idunno.gif

Most of the time Lucy gets along just fine with the chickens and ducks and she even allows them to eat with her....... I have no idea what got into her the few times she has acted up. Unless like you said she is in heat.... thanks for the ideas.

Last edited:
She could be smelling the grapes ripening. My older pots hang out inside of the barn most of the time. Once in a while they will venture out for a nap in the shade. But they get real active in the fall when the apples start getting ripe and falling off of the trees. That's when they start making two trips a day to check for fallen apples. The trees are a good long walk from the barn, but they can smell them.

Is her feed in pellet form? You can use a 2-liter soda bottle and cut some small holes in it, just big enough for some of her feed to come out. Then just fill it up. A ball or some other type of toy might help too.

And you think Godsgrl is joking about another pig, but it seriously could help!

If you aren't planning on breeding her, you should get her fixed. It could be that she is in heat, I don't know, mine was male
smile.png

ETA: Electric fence won't help unless it is very strong! You can get some hog panels and put around where she roots the most, and maybe a type of sandbox, with treats buried in it, to try and entice her into rooting where you want her to.

Last edited:
I've always read that once a pig's been zapped (by the fence) that you can forget about trying to get it to go ANYWHERE near it again. Even if the fence is off.

So don't put it on your gate I guess.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom