Pot or not?

BBQJOE

Songster
Sep 25, 2015
Void where prohibited.
5 reds and an EE.

Everybody took a few weeks off this winter. An egg here or there, nothing like normal, which I know is expected.

All the reds have been laying daily now for weeks, but the EE hasn't pooped an egg in at least two or three.

How long do you let a freeloader hang out rent free?

The one and only EE I had took off work for 3 months once. I kept her around for the eye candy.

How old is your EE? How well do you like her? Is it worth it to you to give her some extra time? I will give some of my hens more of a chance than others. I don't make pets of my chickens, but every now and then there is a chicken that will try to be a pet anyway. I give them extra grace. And the ones that have been broody in the past.

Well Joe, I'm from Oregon so I read your thread title in a totally different light
gig.gif

I'd give her another few weeks. It's spring, things are ramping up in the reproductive areas. If she's not laying by the end of April, I'd get rid of her.

I'll admit...the reason I clicked on this link was because I read it in a different light too @donrae
lol.png

Come to my house Joe. I got lots of ladies that haven't laid an egg for years. I even have one homemade EE take a 3 year break. She quit at 5 years. Last year she started squeezing out some old lady eggs at 8 years. I chose not to eat them.

Come to my house Joe. I got lots of ladies that haven't laid an egg for years. I even have one homemade EE take a 3 year break. She quit at 5 years. Last year she started squeezing out some old lady eggs at 8 years. I chose not to eat them.

Those eggs were stale when she laid them! I don't think I would have eaten them either
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom