Potential blockage in nares.

mldoublee

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Adell, WI
20240521_160734.jpg
20240521_160754.jpg
20240521_160858.jpg

This is Bernadette. She is a 4 year old Brahma hen. About 2 years ago, she had a respiratory infection that caused pus to collect in her right nare. I was able to get a large chunk of it out, but ever since then I have felt like there was more. For the past year or so, that same nare has been larger than her left...protruding out more from her head than her right. I am confident there is more gunk in there, but it will not budge. It is solid as a rock and seems to make it harder for her to breathe. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get it to soften up? I have tried olive oil, warm water, and VetRx so far.

Last edited:
View attachment 3839778 View attachment 3839779 View attachment 3839781

This is Bernadette. She is a 4 year old Brahma hen. About 2 years ago, she had a respiratory infection that caused pus to collect in her right nare. I was able to get a large chunk of it out, but ever since then I have felt like there was more. For the past year or so, that same nare has been larger than her left...protruding out more from her head than her right. I am confident there is more gunk in there, but it will not budge. It is solid as a rock. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get it to soften up? I have tried olive oil, warm water, and VetRx so far. It seems to make it harder for her to breathe.

Honestly, if it's been a couple of years and she's not having any real issues, I'd leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom