potential diseases from wild ducks?

ackie

previously jwehl // dogs & cats & squirrels oh my!
Nov 3, 2020
Atlanta GA
forgive the lack of information, I have basically none

a rehabber friend was contacted about rehoming some ducklings whose mom was hit by a car

I have no ducks of my own. I am not currently planning on getting ducks (no matter how much I joke about wanting them)

are there any concerns regarding what the wild ducks could transmit to my chickens and peafowl?

ETA: what about anything they could leave behind in the soil that would affect future ducks or turkeys if I did get them? (lesser concern)

I'd check local and fedral laws about rescuing wild ducks. They are a federally protected animal and even if you mean well you might be digging a deep expensive hole without the correct permits.
I am not super concerned about that, but that's a great point, thank you.

lets assume it's all above board lol

I don't keep chickens or peafowl, but recently I watched a webinar discussing diseases that wild waterfowl, ducks specifically, could transfer to domestic poultry. The main concern was avian influenza to chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/avian-influenza-webinar.1447089/

Personally my domestic ducks have contracted viral illnesses, internal and external parasites from wild ducks. They swam in water at the same time as the wild ducks.

When I had ducks they free ranged on the farm pond and frankly were great decoys and would bring every wild duck or goose from miles around and I never had any issues. The tame ducks have been gone for years now but seems our pond has stayed on the flight path of the wild birds to this day.

I don't keep chickens or peafowl, but recently I watched a webinar discussing diseases that wild waterfowl, ducks specifically, could transfer to domestic poultry. The main concern was avian influenza to chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/avian-influenza-webinar.1447089/

Personally my domestic ducks have contracted viral illnesses, internal and external parasites from wild ducks. They swam in water at the same time as the wild ducks.
Oh yikes! They got ill from swimming in the same water?
I've been wondering about something being transferred by eating from the same dish. There are some wild ducks in the lake behind me, and they come up and eat sometimes if mine aren't around.
I guess I should get serious and start looking into this more. I'll start with that webinar.

Oh yikes! They got ill from swimming in the same water?
I've been wondering about something being transferred by eating from the same dish. There are some wild ducks in the lake behind me, and they come up and eat sometimes if mine aren't around.
I guess I should get serious and start looking into this more. I'll start with that webinar.
Yeah, I have infectious bronchitis in my flock and my vet says they likely got it from wild mallards. 4 of my original 6 girls were rescues swimming around with many wild mallards for months, and 3 of them were being mated excessively by them. When I first got them they had mites and internal parasites. The mites never came back after treatment, but the internal parasites live in my soil and we have to keep treating for them 1-2 times yearly. We really can't know for certain that the wild mallards were the source but my vet strongly believes it was.

Yeah, I have infectious bronchitis in my flock and my vet says they likely got it from wild mallards. 4 of my original 6 girls were rescues swimming around with many wild mallards for months, and 3 of them were being mated excessively by them. When I first got them they had mites and internal parasites. The mites never came back after treatment, but the internal parasites live in my soil and we have to keep treating for them 1-2 times yearly. We really can't know for certain that the wild mallards were the source but my vet strongly believes it was.
That's awful. Boy you really do get more than your share when it comes to vet visits. So sorry, I hope they do well with the treatment and it keeps it under control.

Back
Top Bottom