Potential marek's epidemic.

May 20, 2020
I have a hen who recently began showing marek's symptoms, still hopeful that its not actually marek's but recently another hen who just showed with a limp can now no longer walk. I have 8 birds. 4 araucanas all the same age around 7 months old (2 of which are the birds in question) my oldest is coming up on 2 years and was just a solo rooster we had with us until about 8 months ago when we got 4 bantams, 3 hens 1 rooster. the rooster died about 4 months ago for what i am now assuming was marek's. now i have 2 more birds presenting the same symptoms as the deceased rooster.
my whole flock has unquestionably been exposed to the sick hens.

what do i do in this situation?
if i know my birds have been exposed is there something i can do to prevent symptoms from showing or are we just screwed.
if its not mareks what else could it be.
this is my 1st time dealing with this atrocious disease im worried sick about my oldest rooster as he is basically a family member at this point.

I have a hen who recently began showing marek's symptoms, still hopeful that its not actually marek's but recently another hen who just showed with a limp can now no longer walk. I have 8 birds. 4 araucanas all the same age around 7 months old (2 of which are the birds in question) my oldest is coming up on 2 years and was just a solo rooster we had with us until about 8 months ago when we got 4 bantams, 3 hens 1 rooster. the rooster died about 4 months ago for what i am now assuming was marek's. now i have 2 more birds presenting the same symptoms as the deceased rooster.

if i know my birds have been exposed is there something i can do to prevent symptoms from showing or are we just screwed.
this is my 1st time dealing with this atrocious disease im worried sick about my oldest rooster as he is basically a family member at this point.
All of them won't die some will become carriers.The vaccine for it is a live virus.Your coop is now contaminated and any new birds are at risk of acquiring it.I'm sorry!!

I'm sorry! I hope this info will help before anymore of your birds get it. http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf

All of them won't die some will become carriers.The vaccine for it is a live virus.Your coop is now contaminated and any new birds are at risk of acquiring it.I'm sorry!!

I'm sorry! I hope this info will help before anymore of your birds get it. http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf
Thanks for your prompt responses. from what ive read there is nothing i can actually do about the disease on my land now. This will probably be my last flock in that case.

Thanks for your prompt responses. from what ive read there is nothing i can actually do about the disease on my land now. This will probably be my last flock in that case.
Its risky getting chickens off people you don't know because its spread easily . You would have to wait a while before you got anymore but as long as you use a different coop in a different area I think you can.You may not be able to raise any chicks though sorry!

Back
Top Bottom