Potential shrink wrapped chick

Chicken12367

Songster
5 Years
Oct 11, 2016
UK
Can someone please help identify if this chick is shrink wrapped and whether it needs help. It’s been pipped for around 7 hours and the humidity in the incubator is around 75 percent. I can hear it peeping but it isn’t making any progress. When I shine a light through the pip I can see the chick breathing but I’m not sure if it’s okay. Thanks

Attachments

• 5C89C9DD-6973-4FA7-A89F-6D7A32DF1A89.jpeg
    5C89C9DD-6973-4FA7-A89F-6D7A32DF1A89.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 19
The chick should be fine - chicks often take up to 24hrs from external pip to zip as they need that time to finish absorbing yolk and blood vessels. It's nerve-wracking waiting, but it looks like the pip is nice and big and it will be able to breath. As long as your humidity is good, which it sounds like it is, and you don't open the incubator causing it to drop, you should be completely fine.

Key things to watch for in your case:

1) If 24 hrs have passed and it still hasn't zipped, this normally means something is up unless it is malpositioned (which can take longer due to internal/external pip at the same time - sometimes needs assistance)

2) If it starts to zip, but can't seem to make it out - zipping should only take about 20 minutes tops, so longer zipping is often a sign of trouble

3) If you start noticing a chick is weak or non-responsive when it was acting differently earlier - here I don't mean resting, but use your intuition if you feel something is awry. If you can hear it peeping normally, all will be well. If it is distressed then it might warrant investigation, but only proceed very very careful to avoid comprising the chick as well as the rest of the eggs.

I have the same incubator - Brinsea :)

Last edited:
The chick should be fine - chicks often take up to 24hrs from external pip to zip as they need that time to finish absorbing yolk and blood vessels. It's nerve-wracking waiting, but it looks like the pip is nice and big and it will be able to breath. As long as your humidity is good, which it sounds like it is, and you don't open the incubator causing it to drop, you should be completely fine.
Thanks for the reassurance and information :D , since posting this thread the chick has made progress. Although its not much its still progress.

Thanks for the reassurance and information :D , since posting this thread the chick has made progress. Although its not much its still progress.

They will often make the pip hole slightly larger as they rest and absorb the rest of the yolk, so this sounds like it is on track. You'll probably find the little one zipping out later today :)

They will often make the pip hole slightly larger as they rest and absorb the rest of the yolk, so this sounds like it is on track. You'll probably find the little one zipping out later today :)
That’s how much further the little one has come along. Does all look well, I can see the chick moving around inside. 😃 thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 14
That’s how much further the little one has come along. Does all look well, I can see the chick moving around inside. 😃 thanks

Yes, it should be fine! Don't worry to much unless you notice a drastic change in chick activity (and remember, they often rest but usually wake up to peeping or other stimulation), or if s/he hasn't unzipped during the 24hrs after pipping. It's a slow process. So hard to sit back and wait :) The more you hatch, the more your intuition should alert you to anything out of the ordinary.

Yes, it should be fine! Don't worry to much unless you notice a drastic change in chick activity (and remember, they often rest but usually wake up to peeping or other stimulation), or if s/he hasn't unzipped during the 24hrs after pipping. It's a slow process. So hard to sit back and wait :) The more you hatch, the more your intuition should alert you to anything out of the ordinary.
This is only my third hatch 🐣 thanks for being so helpful 😃

This is only my third hatch 🐣 thanks for being so helpful 😃

Glad to help! Hatching is so very addicting and each batch is different - my last batch (Marans) had me on edge as they were about a day later than my normal hatches. I guess due to the large egg size. It was also hard because I couldn't monitor their development as closely due to the dark egg shells. Once they started, they came out like popcorn though! :)

Glad to help! Hatching is so very addicting and each batch is different - my last batch (Marans) had me on edge as they were about a day later than my normal hatches. I guess due to the large egg size. It was also hard because I couldn't monitor their development as closely due to the dark egg shells. Once they started, they came out like popcorn though! :)
That’s great to hear, I was a little nervous going into lockdown with this hatch because 2 out of the 5 weren’t completely dark and had light spots but luckily all 5 have pipped and 2 hatched so far. You got that right, hatching is definitely addictive, so addictive that I went and bought myself a bigger incubator 😁😁

That’s great to hear, I was a little nervous going into lockdown with this hatch because 2 out of the 5 weren’t completely dark and had light spots but luckily all 5 have pipped and 2 hatched so far. You got that right, hatching is definitely addictive, so addictive that I went and bought myself a bigger incubator 😁😁

Great to hear! I'm limited myself to the 7 egg incubator... otherwise I'd have way too many chickens around!

Back
Top Bottom