Potentially have MG, looking at options


5 Years
May 20, 2014
northren new york
So the background story:

Parents bought about 20 birds from auction. Most were cheap roosters (almost all the birds were going cheap, these ranged $.50 to $1.50) that they planed to finish fattening up and eat. The other chunk consisted mostly of two broodies and their chicks. Against my protest and due to the fact we don't have an area to quarantine that many birds safely from each other they placed most of the birds with or next to our other ones. After losing a few, we found out that a few other members of our poultry group had birds with MG. Reading the description of this illness we believe some of our birds have this.

Now I have options to look at and questions on how to proceed:

1. Testing for MG.
Does anyone know how much it is to test? If we decide to test what is a good plan that should be fairly efficient and not break our wallets (with over 50 birds that we haven't yet started getting profits from) We have over seven pens, some of these should hopefully not be contaminated. As they can be feed and water from outside the coop and run, and have not been with or next to the auction birds. Most pens are outside and we have a few birds inside as well, some from auction and a few that were not(they are all separated inside and cared for separately)

2. Eggs and Meat.
In my research it looked like those who are infected become carriers for the rest of their lives and can pass it through their eggs to offspring. Knowing this, we don't want to use any of our future breeders anymore. Somewhere, I had read you can still eat the eggs. One plan is to keep the hens as egg layers for our family and cull the roosters. Is the meat still edible? If so we might fatten up the positive boys for dinner. If we keep the infected we would keep them separated from negative birds.

3. New stock.
Are there any good hatcheries that test for illnesses like this? Is there a list of NPIP requirements for each state. New York's NPIP doesn't require MG testing. If we decide to go with hatching eggs for new stock, we would love to choose from states with more stricter requirements.

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully with your knowledge we can come up with a plan that doesn't involve culling all our birds. And hopefully, unfortunately, my parents will be a whole lot more aware about the need of quarantining.

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom