Potentially overdosed my 3 week old duckling with niacin

kimdenyse99

Hatching
Feb 24, 2024
Hi! New to this forum but I'm hoping someone can help me. So I recently bough a niacin supplement from the 21st Century brand (not the slow release kind) that comes in 100mg pills. I might have accidentally OD-ed my 3 week old Cherry Valley Pekin for 2 days (gave 1 pill per day in her feeds) and am panicking because it seems I misread the dosage somewhere on the internet as it's supposed to be 10mg only per day.

Will this drastically affect her?

How is she acting? B vitamins are water soluable they are not stored in the body they just go through but extreme high doses can have side effects but they'd be temporary

How is she acting? B vitamins are water soluable they are not stored in the body they just go through but extreme high doses can have side effects but they'd be temporary
I think she's fine so far, she's sleeping a lot but I think it's nothing out of the ordinary

By the way, just wanted to double check: so most websites online say ducklings should get only 10mg niacin everyday, but Isaac 0's post on niacin deficiency says 100mg. What am I supposed to follow??

I think she's fine so far, she's sleeping a lot but I think it's nothing out of the ordinary

By the way, just wanted to double check: so most websites online say ducklings should get only 10mg niacin everyday, but Isaac 0's post on niacin deficiency says 100mg. What am I supposed to follow??
the liquid b complex i give my ducks has 100mg niacin in one ml , and i give one ml (so 100 mg)
but that is for an adult duck

I think it's Storeys guide to raising ducks that says ducklings need 10mg of niacin daily. But when one already has a niacin deficiency then we need to pull out the big guns and start using the liquid B complex which has 100mg in it once they are back to normal then we give it for one week after then go back to either Niacin pills or Nutritional yeast over feed.
When I have ducklings [this is how I do it not etched in stone] I use Nutritional yeast sprinkled over their feed 1 TAB. over each cup of feed they get and I put 1ml of liquid B complex in their drinking water for the first couple of weeks, after that they just get the nutritional yeast. I have never had a duckling or duck with a niacin def. I also use the liquid if one comes up with a limp just for support. If the limp lasts longer than a few days. [I have Runners in my flock and they are always running up an down the hill so every once in a while I'll see one limping.]
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom