Potty Training Chickens, How-to!

Act
I hope so!!  No house chickens for me thank you very much.  I "love"  my chickens,  but I doubt that they've got enough brain power to be housetrained!!

Actually chickens are very smart they can recognize over 100 faces just by looking at you once

Act
Actually chickens are very smart they can recognize over 100 faces just by looking at you once

Could you point me to the research or study showing that? I've heard that they can recognize flock mates (seem to recall the number being 100 there too but again, never saw a study) but nothing about recognizing or distinguishing human faces.

I have had a bantam hen as a house guest for about 18 months now. To keep her away from the house plants, I bought a Rubbermaid tub (about 18" high) and filled it with topsoil. On top of the topsoil, I put pine needles, and leaves raked up from under our large white pine. During the winter, I rake up several bags of needles/leaves, and it keeps her supplied throughout the winter. The soil must be kept moist. :)

My Jap Bantum rooster has been living in the house for about 6 weeks now. And I love it, he was always very tame, he is about 3 years old. He moved in when he got beat up by a young rooster.
He has favourite areas to sit and there are little piles of poop every afternoon for me to pick up. He poops in his sleep, he poops every10 min or so. I couldn't imagine him toilet trained perhaps due to his age and 'I run this place' attitude.
bubbles loves hanging out with the kids, the adults, watching TV or gardening.
He can be noisy tho.

I know I'm late but thanks a lot, Hackles. I love this and I'll definitely try. I didn't want my girls to go outside in the first place and I wish they could spend more time with me in the house. I'm so glad to find out that potty training chickens (or just birds in general) can be done specially after some people thinking that it's a crazy idea and making fun of me suggesting it.

Hey :)
Thanks for the guide! I just bought two chicken, and i would like to keep them as indoor pets. Is it okay to put them down after they have taken a ****, and then give them a treat and some food?

Back
Top Bottom