Pouch on guinea, what is it?

CAM83

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
E732F71A-974A-4E03-A5F0-EA1020EBFE58.jpeg

What is going on with my guinea hen? Over the past three weeks I’ve noticed this pouch growing. Is it a clutch of eggs she is working on, water belly or something else?
She eats, drinks and moves around like normal. Still gives an egg a day.
We recently added ducks, one came to us with a similar pouch that we were concerned was water belly but she is also eating, drinking, providing eggs and moving around plenty.

Attachments

• 84108DB2-AE8C-4E0B-A8FB-B349B7C4553C.jpeg
    84108DB2-AE8C-4E0B-A8FB-B349B7C4553C.jpeg
    777.9 KB · Views: 2
Birds don't have pouch to lay eggs or keep clutches. it's likey acsites (water belly), if she's still acting normal, that's good but it's a chronic condition and she likely will need put down if it gets bad.

View attachment 3252642
What is going on with my guinea hen? Over the past three weeks I’ve noticed this pouch growing. Is it a clutch of eggs she is working on, water belly or something else?
She eats, drinks and moves around like normal. Still gives an egg a day.
We recently added ducks, one came to us with a similar pouch that we were concerned was water belly but she is also eating, drinking, providing eggs and moving around plenty.
Abdominal swelling. Multiple things can cause swelling but none are good. It’s a hen? Is she laying eggs? If so, does she have oyster shell available? Guineas can get the same reproductive problems that chicken hens do, like laying internally and so that they get an egg yolk coelomitis (aka peritonitis). Other diseases, like liver or heart disease, can cause fluid to accumulate in the coelom or abdomen.

Back
Top Bottom