Poult disaster

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
I've raised poults for several years. This year is my first time with broad breasted whites. I got five on April 18th. I have them in with chicks and ducklings. They eat dumor starter/grower. This is what I've always fed poults. They have heat and water. They've been fine and active. On Friday the 24th I went into work at 5:30pm. During the night there was a family emergency so I didn't get home until Saturday around 6pm. I promptly passed out until 11pm. I went in to check on the birds. They are out of water and the poults in particular look weak and shaky. I do what I've done a million times before with all my animals, I give them some molasses water in their waterer to give a boost of energy. I check on them an hour later and two poults are dead. The other 3 are flopped over with their heads thrown back. All chicks and ducklings are fine. I remove the water. I mix up a batch of vitamins because of the thrown back heads. I give them fresh water and the vitamins. One looks to be recovering. The other two are iffy.

What the heck happened? I've never lost a poult before. Are they allergic to molasses? Is dumor starter not enough for bb poults? They were fine before work. Could drinking water after being a bit dehydrated cause death like it does in pigs?

The three are still alive. One is running around like crazy and the other 2 are weak but seem to be recovering.

Anyone have a clue? I'm going to pick up some game bird starter today just in case.

It sounds like dehydration, but I am not familiar with turkey poults. They may have been weaker or more delicate than others. @R2elk might have aome advice or thoughts. I hope the rest survive.

Back
Top Bottom