Poult with dark and light gray spots? What color is this?

Capricoco

Songster
Mar 17, 2022
I managed to get some of my turkey hens to sit on eggs (first year having turkeys) and some babies have hatched. My coop set up isn’t really chick friendly so I took them inside (brooding some other chicks I happened to get the day the poults hatched) and I noticed a strange little poult I had previously thought to be just a slate. He’s got the typical slate down and pattern, but he’s got… dark gray down? I don’t know, I tried to find something online but I couldn’t find anything conclusive. The hens I have are black Spanish (1), Narragansett (1), bronze (1), bourbon red (2), chocolate (1), along with a royal palm Tom, a lavender Tom, and a splash slate Tom.
7930EA41-5C32-4D44-8571-1E7170F9E168.jpeg
EFFAD5B2-8DB7-416A-B80E-D973CD06479C.jpeg
86607EBB-4853-4170-93A9-4FB98CE80287.jpeg
30279D31-56D6-4988-BBE2-0F4B444B3B80.jpeg
B72888AD-C6D2-4F3C-BFDB-F28B07CE9EFC.jpeg

Attachments

• DEE4A554-19B8-4CCB-A23B-E499CBFF0143.jpeg
    DEE4A554-19B8-4CCB-A23B-E499CBFF0143.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 4
Do you have some updated pictures that you can post?
Yes I do. So far everything is looking pretty standard for a slate. He’s decided to take up bathing in the waterer with 2 of the other chicks, thought it might be too hot so I adjusted the heat lamp and they still do it 🤦‍♀️. That’s why he looks like he’s been rolling around in muck. Anyways, picture. Everything else looks pretty much the same.
50C5F195-1818-4DAE-B7EA-A6771F693C67.jpeg

I managed to get some of my turkey hens to sit on eggs (first year having turkeys) and some babies have hatched. My coop set up isn’t really chick friendly so I took them inside (brooding some other chicks I happened to get the day the poults hatched) and I noticed a strange little poult I had previously thought to be just a slate. He’s got the typical slate down and pattern, but he’s got… dark gray down? I don’t know, I tried to find something online but I couldn’t find anything conclusive. The hens I have are black Spanish (1), Narragansett (1), bronze (1), bourbon red (2), chocolate (1), along with a royal palm Tom, a lavender Tom, and a splash slate Tom.View attachment 3181907View attachment 3181908View attachment 3181909View attachment 3181910View attachment 3181911
There are quite a few varieties with the same color at this age.
What I can tell you is that this poult doesn't carry any slate genes. It's just a diluted black (either caused by the narragansett or palm allele, or a combination of both).
This poult could be a Marbled Black, Mottled Black, Black Gray, Silver-tipped black, Barred black, ...
Quite a few possibilities.

I
There are quite a few varieties with the same color at this age.
What I can tell you is that this poult doesn't carry any slate genes. It's just a diluted black (either caused by the narragansett or palm allele, or a combination of both).
This poult could be a Marbled Black, Mottled Black, Black Gray, Silver-tipped black, Barred black, ...
Quite a few possibilities.
remember running all the possibilities through porters and the only name that rings a bell is mottled black

I

remember running all the possibilities through porters and the only name that rings a bell is mottled black
Mottled Black shouldn't be a result if you put in the calculator all the varieties you got (tri-color mottled black would be possible though).
The problem is, that the poults phenotype actually wouldn't be the expected result if all your turkeys would be pure-breeding. For a mottled black, both of the parents would have to carry the palm gene and at least the male would need to carry a narragansett gene.
As your only black-based female is a black Spanish, she shoud carry neither palm, nor narragansett. the same is true for chocolate, lavender and slate tom.
The poult clearly indicates that some of your turkeys are not completely pure. That's why I went by the color of the poult and the most probable explanations.

What would help narrow down the possibilities would be high resolution pictures of your turkeys. Especially wing and tail feathers.

Mottled Black shouldn't be a result if you put in the calculator all the varieties you got (tri-color mottled black would be possible though).
The problem is, that the poults phenotype actually wouldn't be the expected result if all your turkeys would be pure-breeding. For a mottled black, both of the parents would have to carry the palm gene and at least the male would need to carry a narragansett gene.
As your only black-based female is a black Spanish, she shoud carry neither palm, nor narragansett. the same is true for chocolate, lavender and slate tom.
The poult clearly indicates that some of your turkeys are not completely pure. That's why I went by the color of the poult and the most probable explanations.

What would help narrow down the possibilities would be high resolution pictures of your turkeys. Especially wing and tail feathers.
The turkeys that I see hatcheries selling as Black Spanish do not appear to be pure Black turkeys.

The chocolate is a hen actually, sorry if that wasn’t clear in the original post. I can get pictures of them soon.

Back
Top Bottom