Poultry apps & ideas

modernsettlers

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2015
Petaluma, CA
Hey all! I work in tech (I'm a front-end engineer - I make Web apps) and in my off time I always try to find ways to merge technology and my hobbies/interests (aka chickens!). Anyway...

I haven't found many/any poultry keeping related apps and was wondering if anyone here had used any that they could recommend or if anyone had ideas to make something (like an app) that they wish existed but doesn't. I want to focus on things that would be useful to ordinary people (you and me)- not necessarily commercial. I know the big guys already have lots of expensive software for managing their operations... I want to make free and easy stuff for us.

My current ideas:
- feed mix calculator - (so I made one)
- genetics calculator - so you can enter descriptions of parent stock and see projections for offspring appearance, egg color, etc.
- flock tracker - normal flock record keeping to see feed consumption, growth rates, expenses, etc. With emphasis on using all user data to make projections. Example: if people across the country keeping barred rocks all report their hens starting to lay at 5 months, it could suggest diet changes or egg tips etc. for others who have 5 month old barred rocks. (I don't know about this idea since it relies on community that isn't there yet - and record keeping is hard to keep up on).
- egg tracker - simplified record keeping. Just records eggs laid (daily months whatev), then get to see graph so you can easily spot trends in production.

Any one have other ideas or feedback on mine? The feed mix calculator is very useful to me, but got a pretty cold reception here. I would only want to make something that's useful for other people too, and doesn't already exist (so no classifieds, and not trying to make another forum. this one is good). Thanks for readin'!

Last edited:
Love the egg tracker idea. A breed ID chart would be useful. Also, maybe some basic chicken disease and most common treatments, info. Would be good. Like a quick reference thing.
Beginner Q&A stuff.
I think a good Chicken/poultry app is a great idea. Or you could make two apps. One for beginners, and one for advanced poultry keepers. Just a thought.

@copper2 - Thanks for the feedback! Glad you liked it! I went ahead and added Red Hard Wheat. For nutrition, I found two types listed on the gov site which had fairly different numbers, so I included both the "Spring" and "Winter" varieties. I added hard white wheat too - not sure how it had been left off before. I hope that helps!

@Weehopper - The more I Think about it, the more I like the idea for a simplified record keeping app too! I think I might start poking at this idea soon.

Definitly a plus, i wish there was an app or program(PC) for pheasants, like having pictures of the various species of pheasants and crossing them on computer instead of in practice, would cut down on crossbred and hybrids being created for "just to see what you get". Just a thought

I absolutely LOVE all the ideas you came up with !!!!
I think the app will be Very useful and helpful for beginners and advanced breeders!!!

I think you can add tips on raising ,hatching ,buying chickens ,medical information and some homemade remedies..!'
You can Also add information on each breed of chicken

Ill update if i come up with more ideas!!

I love the feed calculator- it the first one i have looked at. It seems very user friendly and adaptable. But, what about any kind of fish meal? Im trying to raise my protein levels and I want to add dried fish meal. How else could I get my broiler recipe higher in protein? I need a meat protein.

I will go look at the others now though. I love not reinventing the wheel when someone has already done the work. Thank you so much!!!

I think that free range should also be taken into account for the feeding app. That plays a big part in how much food is used.

Back
Top Bottom