Poultry chat

The local egg farm in town sells started pullets for $10.50 and ex-battery hens for $2.50. Local feed store gets $25 for roosters or hens.

Last edited:
I have some nice non-hatchery Faverolles. Last time I tried to sell pullets most people were no-shows. Then those that did bother to show up weren't willing to pay even $10 for a decent quality 6 month old Faverolles pullet just coming into lay. So I butchered them.

I don't even bother to list pullets these days. Whatever doesn't go into the breeding pen, pullet or cockerel, goes to the freezer. Except for the occasional kids' favorite that goes to the layer flock.

Other than open-air farmers' markets, sometimes it takes being located in the right area, in the right zoning, to have a successful business to sell either chickens or eggs to the public. If I had a flock of chickens that needed downsizing I'd keep them for my own freezer too. Laws are pretty tough around us and selling eggs to neighbors or co-workers or chickens is under too much scrutiny so we just keep enough laying hens for our personal use and let the older non-layers continue foraging for bugs and weeds, dropping their poop for fertilizer, and teaching the newer hens that get added to the flock. Our girls are "forever" hens in our yard because we got attached to them as pets.

I definitely don't sell chickens to make money. If you check craigslist austin texas $20 is the going rate for laying hens. 90% of the people who have bought birds from me, want chickens because their neighbors chickens just started laying. They usually want chicks. When I explain to them they are going to have to build a brooder, purchase a heat source, protect and feed the chicks for 6 months, commen sense tells them to buy laying hens. Because I don't advertise my chicks or chickens for sale, they already trust me, they got my number from someone who already purchased birds from me.

Reputation spread by word of mouth is the best advertising!

I definitely don't sell chickens to make money. If you check craigslist austin texas $20 is the going rate for laying hens. 90% of the people who have bought birds from me, want chickens because their neighbors chickens just started laying. They usually want chicks. When I explain to them they are going to have to build a brooder, purchase a heat source, protect and feed the chicks for 6 months, commen sense tells them to buy laying hens. Because I don't advertise my chicks or chickens for sale, they already trust me, they got my number from someone who already purchased birds from me.

yeah friends of repeat buyers are the easiest customers to deal with to me most of people that buy from me have bought from me before or friends of People that's bought from me good reputation is one of the best things to have

how much are you guys selling eggs for? I get $2 a doz but it's a tough sell because you can get eggs at the local grocery store for 79 cents a dozen, even less when there's a sale

WHAT? 79cents a dozen? HOLY CRAP! For a dozen here, it's almost 2$....Where do you live, cause I'm moving there! Lol...and the little lady down the street sells 18 for about 2$....and I only have to walk 5 houses away....so I go to her.

Back
Top Bottom