Poultry Farm Loses 50,000 Chickens In Heat Wave

Multiple times. One of our projects was to raise a "house" of chickens. Each "team" had 5 people that ran a barn. It would have ended well had the entire property not flooded....

It doesn't get much worse than a barn without air movement. We always carried water bottles with us just in case something should happen, I can guarantee you that if I had been stranded in a barn without air movement I WOULD have found or made a way to get out.

Wow. That's sad.

And a waste of 100,000 chicken wings.

I'm amazed they don't have backup gennys at these places. (actually, I'm amazed everyone doesn't have a generator handy for emergency situations)

Quote:
I don't know of any houses around here that have them. The bigger poultry farms might have a dozen or more houses so it would be one large generator or a bunch of smaller ones. After a hurricaine they have lost thousands and thousands due to power outages.

Steve

You know, the effects of natural disasters didn't cross my mind. Not a lot any one could do in some situations like that where keepers couldn't be around.

Quote:
The first time I ever saw one I was amazed and shocked, makes you really rethink those store bought wings.

Steve

One of the main reasons I got into growing my own food and raising animals was so that I no longer had to rely on these types of warehouses to provide my food. Pics of chickens or any other animals crowded together like that is simply obscene....it really makes me ill.

We have a turkey farm down the road from us and in addition to all doors open, one sidewall that is completely screen from top to bottom, a huge amount of ventilation AND huge fans, when it gets really hot they have a sprayer truck which they drive down the sides of the buildings, spraying the outside walls and the turkeys standing in the open doorways. It has really cut down on turkey mortality for them when it's hot.

Quote:
The first time I ever saw one I was amazed and shocked, makes you really rethink those store bought wings.

Steve

One of the main reasons I got into growing my own food and raising animals was so that I no longer had to rely on these types of warehouses to provide my food. Pics of chickens or any other animals crowded together like that is simply obscene....it really makes me ill.

x2

Back
Top Bottom