Poultry in Egypt

AnnetDahab

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2017
Dahab, Egypt
Hello everyone,

I finally decided to start making my own profile, after having enjoyed browsing the BYC forums and info for a while now.

We live in Dahab, Egypt, by the Red Sea, and started late last year with raising our own poultry. Our first purchase consisted of a few chickens and a rooster. During the relatively cooler, windy months we unfortunately lost the rooster and a few chickens, but we've added to the flock and they are all very healthy now. laying about 8 eggs a day for us (we've got 15 hens and a rooster).

We are really loving our mini farm and have expanded further, buying 20 chicks (broiler), ducks (10 white 2-month olds and 8 tiny Muscovy ducklings - absolutely love them!), a few turkeys (8 to start with, down to 5 - a little problematic, as they've been sick), and quail (17, no idea how many male/female - absolutely problem-free and cute).

We've also grown some greens over the winter - most of which seem to go to the chickens now.. funny how that happens. Our climate is very, very dry (one or two rains a year) and generally quite windy, and very hot in summer. So a proper desert climate, with a sea breeze. Most people in our area here have limited access to (fresh) water, but we're lucky to have a well on the property. It is a little salty, so clearly not for drinking, but we use it for cleaning, watering the garden and are successfully growing greens, beans & tomatoes.

So, over the last few months we've bought quite a few animals, we've hired a carpenter to construct some new pens, have done loads of research and are almost ready to slaughter our first ducks.

I look forward to sharing our stories with you, and sharing what little experience with gained so far, and of course, to hear your stories and learn from you!!

Happy farming

Annet

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Annet, it sounds like you've been very busy! Good luck with your ever-increasing flocks and garden.

Thanks for joining us, and thanks for sharing pictures!

Hi Thomas,

Good question! I've been thinking about that. I grow some flowers in pots, and I can clearly see a residue of salt on the soil there. I don't really see this in our veg garden, but I noticed my Swiss Chard being salty when I tasted it straight from the plant recently. I'm not sure how this will go in the long run. We don't have much of a choice on our current property (a rental). We don't have a water supply system like you would have in Europe or the US. We're a bit 'off the grid' here in this corner of Egypt. Every house in our town has a large water tank (either a concrete tank in the ground or a large rooftop tank), which get filled with desalinated water from the local government once or twice a week. It wouldn't be enough to cover the needs of this large property, and that's why the owner decided to dig a well. This (salty) well water gets added to our underground water tank if the supply runs low, so all our tap water is always somewhat salty.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I live out in the desert southwest of the US, although up in the mountains. We know all about those rainless periods, salty ground and even salty water! LOL Definitely do not water your birds with any even lightly salty well water. I did that, not knowing it would do harm,
hide.gif
and lost a LOT of birds to arterial hypertension and heart failure. Poultry just do not have the abilities to flush salts from their bodies.

Your babies are adorable by the way.
smile.png

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock! :)

Hi Leyla,

Thanks for that warning - I have been giving them our tap water, but I'll make a point of switching to fresh well water. Our water situation is pretty complicated with all the different 'grades' of water out here. Whenever my family (from Holland) come to visit, I need to write them a manual about which water is good for cooking, which is good for drinking etc. Our town has fresh and salty wells, and I buy fresh well water for cooking. I also put this water through a ceramic filter, to get drinking water. I find that really important, because our fragile ecosystem, with its beautiful Red Sea coral reefs, really doesn't need more plastic bottles... When I go to visit my family in Holland, and just turn on the tap to fill my glass with clean, tasty, drinking water, I feel a bit emotional. It has become a big deal for me!

Hi Leyla,

Thanks for that warning - I have been giving them our tap water, but I'll make a point of switching to fresh well water. Our water situation is pretty complicated with all the different 'grades' of water out here. Whenever my family (from Holland) come to visit, I need to write them a manual about which water is good for cooking, which is good for drinking etc. Our town has fresh and salty wells, and I buy fresh well water for cooking. I also put this water through a ceramic filter, to get drinking water. I find that really important, because our fragile ecosystem, with its beautiful Red Sea coral reefs, really doesn't need more plastic bottles... When I go to visit my family in Holland, and just turn on the tap to fill my glass with clean, tasty, drinking water, I feel a bit emotional. It has become a big deal for me!
Sounds like you have a handle on this water issue! Dry arid places in the world do have water issues. We have "water stores" around here that you can take big jugs and fill up with pure water and that is what we do for our drinking with and of course now water the poultry with. We use our well water for some cooking, showering/bathing and other such things. But we don't drink it anymore, nor do the birds. LOL

And yes, you all DO have beautiful corral reefs out there! The environment does need help and protection.

But I certainly understand your water situation and your concern for both your family and the environment!!
smile.png

Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am so glad you decided to join us today, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

G’Day from down under Annet
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry to hear of your losses
sad.png

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Thank you for sharing pics of your flock, they are beautiful! BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom