Poultry in Egypt

Welcome to Backyard chickens. We used to have hideous iron filled water from our well. The builder cut corners on everything, to make more profit on the house. It was the last house he was building, before he skipped town.He didn't have the well dug deep enough to get better water. We didn't know a thing about wells. We didn't take bathes in it because red brown water didn't look like it could clean anything. It left rusty color in everything. If a glass of water sat for a few minutes, you'd see red at the bottom. We had to run often to a relative's home in another city, who had good water, and would fill up many gallon bottles to use for cooking and drinking and watering the dogs. Luckily after about 4 years our village got clean city water. But the rust before just rusted the water tank, the pump etc, It was very expensive to keep replacing them. And then city water was very expensive also.

Other neighbors kept their wells just to water their grass & plants...... But we couldn't afford to keep replace everything to do that. Digging the well deeper would have been a huge expense.

Believe me, I can sympathize with you.

Hi Nancy.

Thanks for that! That sound really bad - we are you located, if I might ask?
Bad water is sooo damaging to our health and properties. You can spend a fortune here in Egypt on replacing water pumps, tanks and on all plumbing and equipment, likes washing machines..
We're hoping to be able to buy a plot of land, and are planning to build a massive underground water tank (first priority!!), then probably a filter between the tank and the house. No more wells, since we'll have salt water again..

Back
Top Bottom