Poultry mesh vs hardware wire for run??

Quote:
What was the shipping?

I didn't have to pay shipping-I'm picking it up tomorrow. Go to the site and see if they have a branch near you.
Hey, I changed my order to 1/2" it's what I use now for my outdoor pens and it's a heavier gauge. Nothing is getting it's stinky paws through that! Also, saved another 10.00!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the tip Pat, it may be cheap, but it is galvanized! This is from the Grainger's site.
Hardware Cloth,1/2 In,19 Ga,48 Inx50 Ft
Hardware Cloth, Steel, Galvanized, 19 Gauge, Mesh Size 1/2 In, Height 48 In, Length 50 Ft
>More Details... APPROVED VENDOR
1GBC6 1 Today $82.95

Last edited:
I would certainly suggest hardware cloth/wire. Standard chicken wire does not hold its shape, and its not that strong. For my pens I use galvanized hardware cloth along the sides and 2x4 welded livestock fence on the top. Hardware cloth should not cost that much. At the local hardware stock here it runs a dollar a foot. Or you can get it in pre-cut rolls at home depot. Not only is hardware cloth stronger and longer lasting, but it also looks nicer. Here is how I use it on my pens:

chickens02.jpg

chickens07.jpg

Thank you all.

My DH got the hardware cloth/mesh at Home Depot for about $2 per foot. The local farm store quoted the higher price of nearly $9 per foot.

We definately want our girls to be safe and happy layers.

Thanks, again!

I am so glad you went with the hardware cloth. I have the chicken wire. I have had it for 8 months and already it has begun to rust. If again I would go ahead and purchase the hardware cloth hands down or the 1 inch welded wire. I always lock my coop at night ,so far I have been safe. I hope it last a long time. I am having an addition put on my coop soon and can't aford both now. Enjoy your chicks. Gloria Jean

Why is hardware cloth (19 gauge) so much stronger than 19 gauge chicken wire? I have hardware cloth and vinyl coated chicken wire & the chicken wire seems much heavier. I always thought the hardware cloth was stronger and was shocked to see most is only 19 gauge whereas welded wire is 14 or 16. Just curious!

Back
Top Bottom