Poultry Processors in SE Michigan

I am just updating with new information on

Kastel Slaughterhouse
8927 Tagsold Highway
Riga, MI 49276-9751

They now charge $3 per chicken, $7 for turkeys, not sure how much for ducks. I would NEVER suggest anyone take there birds to this place.

Also adding that I was happy with the first batch I sent them, however the next one I noticed a quite a few broken wings and maybe one or two carcasses had the skin torn from the hind end.
The batch after that I was seeing many broken wings and torn skin like they had the plucker spinning too fast or for too long. I also had one go "missing" from that batch, I was sure I counted 49 when we crated them but picked up only 48 carcasses. I was pretty mad, needless to say but I could not say with 100% certainty that I had 49 initially.
This last batch was the last straw. My husband and I got there half an hour earlier than pick-up time and saw the way they killed my poor birds. I was amazed that they ALL didn't break their wings; they were not using killing cones, the guy was just grabbing the bird by the back of the neck and cutting the entire throat, then tossing them still flapping into a garbage can with a bunch of other flapping birds.
somad.gif
It was horrifying.

I guess I'm going to have to downsize my meat bird orders because I am butchering them all myself. I felt sick after seeing that and not to mention extremely guilty that I condemned my birds to that kind of death. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

Last I knew Miller's went out of business, because of a lost lease for their building.

Well, I guess that I am going to have to do it myself. I can't blame my beautiful two Barred Rock roosters for being boys, but the neighbors won't tolerate crowing and I don't want fertile eggs. Can you describe the slaughtering process for me? I have a cookbook that describes it, but more info can only help.

Thanks!

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would update with a review with the only other processor in my area. Kodelman Processing in Ottawa Lake. I have been butchering all my own birds for the last few years but due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to take my last batch of this year to get processed. I was quite shocked to pickup my 16 birds and find that only 3 of them didn't have their wings obliterated. And then they had the gall to charge me an additional fee for having less than 20 birds when I had been told over the phone at scheduling that I didn't have to pay that fee.
I can understand having a few birds with broken wings but those birds looked like they had been massacred. Needless to say I was extremely unhappy and want to warn anyone considering taking their birds there. I have to say that the only positive was that there facility looked decently clean and they did use kill cones. I would NOT recommend them.

Consider yourself warned.

I know this post was originally older. Does anyone have any options for folks who live in SE Michigan for a poultry butcher shop? Any guidance would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Back
Top Bottom