Poultry products from a designer

jderwood1

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 1, 2012
Ok so I am in college studying graphic design and I want to design some good looking products (oil, shampoo, diatomaceous earth, clippers, feed, bedding, leg bands. My teacher thinks its a bad idea because there aren't enough people interested in the design of the products.

My question is, Would you be more compelled to by good, quality poultry products if the design looked better, cleaner, more professional, than the rest of the products?

Any feed back would be great, thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
Um that's a good question, I usually buy brands I'm familiar with, but attractive packaging does help to catch the consumer's eye. Good luck.

Hi and welcome to BYC from nothern Michigan
big_smile.png

I think for a lot of the things you mentioned price is the driving force for most people, not nescessarily appearance - practicality is more important for things like bedding, feed and medications than appearance.

and welcome from NC.
Hmmmm, for me i kinda go for the functional aspect instead of the look/design of a product. BUT keeping chickens is a trendy thing right now and i am sure that some people will absolutely like them. Just look at the guy who created the happy hen treats...there were not chicken specific treats sold before either and now we have Happy Hen treats and cabbage cages to hang food for them. I have noticed pictures of people who take their chicks everywhere with them like small dogs, so designer items would be right up their alley most likely. Good luck with your idea!

Greetings, jderwood1, and welcome aboard. Interesting question. I guess I always thought graphic designers dealt with eye appeal in the advertising and packaging of a product??? So, are you asking if our buying preference would be influenced by packaging or product quality? I guess one's eye always goes to the more attractive packaging but in the end, for me at least, I will compare and go with what I think is the better product, regardless of packaging. And, as 1muttsfan stated, price will always be a driving force. Best of luck to you in your designs!!

Back
Top Bottom