Poultry Shipping Requirements?

BlueCamas

Songster
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Milwaukie, Oregon
I have never shipped eggs, chicks, or adult birds before and I was wondering what the "requirements" were. I've searched the forum, but couldn't really find anything on anypaper work you have to do or have BEFORE you ship. Do you have to be NPIP certified to ship anything? I know there are lots of people that are shipping eggs/chicks/birds very often and I was hoping they could give some advice/input for a newbie like me.

I have never shipped eggs, chicks, or adult birds before and I was wondering what the "requirements" were. I've searched the forum, but couldn't really find anything on anypaper work you have to do or have BEFORE you ship. Do you have to be NPIP certified to ship anything? I know there are lots of people that are shipping eggs/chicks/birds very often and I was hoping they could give some advice/input for a newbie like me.
I'm no expert either, but found this link helpful. Good luck!
cool.png

http://www.guineafowl.com/GeneralStore/regulations.htm

Before you agree to ship chicks, check with your local post office. Some post offices will refuse to ship chicks despite your meeting all of the USPS rules because they are at a location that may prolong the shipping time. I have to drive 40 extra miles to go to a post office in my area that will ship chicks and they require me to send Express Mail only. It does cost more, but at least it speeds the shipping time. You will definitely need the NPIP. When shipping, I put on the bottom right corner of the box my NPIP #, the date and time of the hatch and sign.

If you do decide to start shipping birds, my only suggestion to you would be this.

Shipping poultry is risky business, esp young birds, the stress can and does kill them.

Have a good solid contingency plan for when this happens so you are not flamed :)

Some more advice: Do not ship during the winter or during the hottest months of the year. I think temperature may be one of the leading causes of problems with shipped chicks. I would also recommend shipping day old chicks as opposed to older chicks as they do not require as much nutrition for the trip. That being said, we still ship all day old chicks with Gro-Gel and it works great. Express mail as opposed to Priority mail. A minimum number of chicks for warmth goes a long way too.

Back
Top Bottom