1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poultry Vet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tjparker60, Nov 17, 2016.

1. tjparker60

tjparker60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    My sister-in-law is trying to find a Vet to see her chicken... not one of them in her town will see her. Does anyone know a Vet near Ada, Oklahoma that will see a chicken. She thought she was Broody, but now she thinks she may be egg bound. She's soaking her in Epsom salt baths and a yellow yoke like substance comes out! Any suggestions would be welcome and the name of a Vet! Thank you!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Anyone here from Oklahoma that might help with a vet? Is the yellow material like a broken egg, or is it like cooked egg, or is it bright yellow poop? Sorry for being so blunt, but egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying could be the problem. In peritonitis, droppings can be bright yellow, just from E.coli infection. Other problems can include ascites, or fluid in the lower belly from heart or liver failure, or EYP. Hopefully someone will get a name for you. Here is some reading about EYP and internal laying:
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/

3. tjparker60

tjparker60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    I just talked to her and it is like a small cooked scrambled egg. It comes out when she soaks. The first time the egg stuff came out it had a little bit of blood in it. She is not eating, but is drinking and she loves to soak in the Epsom salt. She is a year old and has been laying normally up to this time!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cooked egg material in the droppings sounds like internal laying. It's very common in chickens, and they can live for a long time, unless egg yolk peritonitis, an infection in the abdomen occurs. The Merck Veterinary Manual has some good articles on reproductive disorders.

5. kellyhubb

kellyhubb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Have you checked out PoultryDVM yet? It has pretty much every condition/disease you can think of that may affect chickens or ducks, and has an assortment of neat little tools such as a chicken symptom checker and predator identifier. It also has a directory of poultry vets.

I recommend definitely checking it out, it is much easier to follow then the Merek Manual. Here is a link to the website - http://www.poultrydvm.com/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by